Native Plants

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Tim_Koles

Native Plants

Post by Tim_Koles »

I'm looking for native plants that anyone may have to add to my collection. They don't necessarily need to be DMV natives, but I am looking for ones that could potentially be winter hardy. Something that only tolerates south Florida I will pass on but would still be interested in hearing about for future ideas.
Allen

Re: Native Plants

Post by Allen »

Tim_Koles wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:26 am I'm looking for native plants that anyone may have to add to my collection. They don't necessarily need to be DMV natives, but I am looking for ones that could potentially be winter hardy. Something that only tolerates south Florida I will pass on but would still be interested in hearing about for future ideas.
Mermaid weed (Proserpinaca palustris) is supposedly native to this area and winter hardy but my small tub of it did die over the winter though it was on a porch and completely unprotected.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

It is but the stock in the aquarium trade comes from Cuba and seems to lack some of the cold tolerance. This is something that happens commonly. I know most of the pickerel weed out there is from Florida stock and does not last overwinter. I have had mermaid weed last over the winter but I seem to have a problem with it even during the summer. I would love to grab some more and try again maybe emersed this time.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Gratiola viscidula is threatened in our area, but native to Maryland/Virginia. There are places in Maryland you can collect Proserpinaca if you want to try the local version. It's a beautiful aquarium plant.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Definitely down for local collecting if anyone is interested and knows some locations.

Sponsors