Do you need powder type for a good carpet

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
sfarkhan

Do you need powder type for a good carpet

Post by sfarkhan »

Hello All,

I'm planning on rescaping my tank and I have quite a bit of type ADA Amazonia 2 Aqua Soil and I'm having a hard time finding the ADA Amazonia Powder Type. I spoke to someone at Aqua Forest Aquarium and he said they haven't had powder type Aquasoil in long while and probably won't be getting it. He said Amazonia 2 is finer than the older stuff and powder isn't needed.

1. I haven't been able to compare can someone corroborate this?
2. I've looked at Tropica powder type and I've read it's a darker color so the combination of that over AS Amazonia looks weird, LOL
3. Should I just go with the Type 2 or do you have any recommendations.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Do you need powder type for a good carpet

Post by krisw »

I've never used powder for carpets. Maybe the smallest Eleocharis might like it, but otherwise just use the regular stuff. If you really need fine grain, you can mix in inert sand.
sfarkhan

Re: Do you need powder type for a good carpet

Post by sfarkhan »

krisw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:52 am I've never used powder for carpets. Maybe the smallest Eleocharis might like it, but otherwise just use the regular stuff. If you really need fine grain, you can mix in inert sand.
Thanks for the information. I had issues getting a carpet but it may have been the UP Aqua soil, CO2/light I was using. It just never got thick and I figured it was due to the particle size of the soil.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)

Sponsors