Blue Green Algae - need help

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
tug

Re: Blue Green Algae - need help

Post by tug »

I'm dosing closer to 7.2 ppm NO3 and 0.8 ppm PO4, daily. At these levels I worry NO3 levels might shock any new arrivals like Caridina multidentata. :shock:
I should get a test kit but some Yamato shrimp would also tell me if levels are too high. Thing is, I have little alga to speak of and no more BGA.

IME, lowering BOD, a skimmer and an oxidizer like chemiclen (when all else failed), kept BGA from reoccurring.

IMO, when the other bacteria are having trouble due to poor oxygen exchange, pH, temperature and/or a barrage of mulm, BGA steps in.

Might check any house filters, if you use one. I'm imbarised to say, I might not of always kept up with my filter changes in the past. :oops:
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

Aquarium 10-15-2015.JPG
Aquarium 10-15-2015.JPG (223.15 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Eh, it's been a slow balance between algae, BBA, and so on. But the tank basically looks ok.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

Looking good Sam
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Come a long way.... but most important question you haven't answered: What's the Missus think??? :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

The missus loves the tank, but especially the pea puffers. Kirthi (age 6) carefully scoops snails from the 15g in her room, brings them down, and tosses them in as treats. Zach feels that this is cruel to the snails.

Sponsors