Algae fun!

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Algae fun!

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Hi, my name is Ghazanfar and I have an algae problem.

Actually, this is an algae I've been trying to get rid of for almost a year. It started right around the meeting at my house in April last year. Its a filamentous algae, bright green, long strands that are relativly soft, easy to break, slimy to touch. I think its a kind of Rhizoclonium. Anyway, I tried EVERYTHING known to man to get rid of it. Double dosing Excel, blackouts, low lights, low nutrients, high nutrients, high CO2, high K, peroxide, Amano shrimp wont touch it, barbs don't eat it. I actually broke this tank down this past November, and started with brand new plants, and it STILL came back - this is the Superman of algae.

Anyway, a couple of weekends ago, I was at NEC and had an opportunity to talk to Dr. Ole Pedersen from the Univ. of Copahagen. He was a guest speaker at the NEC and guess what the topic of his talk was - Algae. :)
I told him of my plight, and he was actually quite intruiged and asked for a sample of this super algae. I did mail it to him - we'll see what he comes back with on it.

In the meantime, inspired by what I saw in his talk, I setup a little side by side experiement to see which concentrations of Excel work best. The results are interesting. So, instead of just telling you flat out, let's play a little game.

I used 2 sets of 5 jars for the experiment, to ensure that the results were somewhat scientific.
In the pictures below, the jars with the same label have the same concentration of Excel.
Concentration used were (in no particular order):

100% recommended dose
25% recommended dose
0%
200% recommended dose
50% recommended dose

Here are the before and after pictures.
Before:

After:

The jars are not particularly placed by order of concentration. Then again, maybe they are.

Guess the concentration of Excel used in the jars.

Example answer:

A: 0%
B: 25%
C: .. etc you get the idea.

I'll post the right answer in a day or two.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

halak

Post by halak »

E: 0%
How much time did it take to get the results?
I have been combating the same kind of algae for a few weeks now. Now I am trying the black out method with limited success.
Viktor
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

halak wrote:E: 0%
How much time did it take to get the results?
I have been combating the same kind of algae for a few weeks now. Now I am trying the black out method with limited success.
Two weeks. Although the results were apparent after 5 days.
Guess the rest too man!
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

I think I remember seeing it in the foreground grass of your 50G at last April's meeting.

How many drops of excel is a full dose, in that small looking quantitly of water? How many ounces of water in each jar? If 20 drops (1ml) would be the recommended dosage for 10 gallons of water, and 5 drops for 2.5 gallons, what quantities of Excel are you using?

I see there was some evaporation.

Anyway, I'll guess

A: 50%
C: 100%
D: 200%

Nice experiment by the way. :)
Joe
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Yeah, I had to figure out how to get minute quantities of Excel. I ended up mixing larger batches, then using only a little to fill the jars.
jcali10 wrote:I think I remember seeing it in the foreground grass of your 50G at last April's meeting.

How many drops of excel is a full dose, in that small looking quantitly of water? How many ounces of water in each jar? If 20 drops (1ml) would be the recommended dosage for 10 gallons of water, and 5 drops for 2.5 gallons, what quantities of Excel are you using?

I see there was some evaporation.

Anyway, I'll guess

A: 50%
C: 100%
D: 200%

Nice experiment by the way. :)
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

PaulS

Post by PaulS »

A: 25
B: 50
C: 100
D: 200
E: 0
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Were the jars filled with aquarium water from the aquarium you harvested the algae from? Or did you use tap or DI or RO water? Did you provide lighting during the experiment? And was this Excel or Glutaraldehyde?

Depending on your answers, I reserve the right to change my guesses :)

A: 0 %
B: 100 %
C: 25 %
D: 50 %
E: 200 %
Amy_Payne

Measuring tiny amounts

Post by Amy_Payne »

The CVS pharmacy gave me a couple of needle-less syringes for free which we use for dosing tanks when I asked at the pharmacy counter.
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

chris_todd wrote:Were the jars filled with aquarium water from the aquarium you harvested the algae from? Or did you use tap or DI or RO water? Did you provide lighting during the experiment? And was this Excel or Glutaraldehyde?
Good questions.
They were filled with aquarium water from the aquarium Iharvested the algae from. I did provide lighting during the experiment. All the jars were clustered 12" under a double strip T-5 and I used Seachem Excel.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:
chris_todd wrote:Were the jars filled with aquarium water from the aquarium you harvested the algae from? Or did you use tap or DI or RO water? Did you provide lighting during the experiment? And was this Excel or Glutaraldehyde?
Good questions.
They were filled with aquarium water from the aquarium I harvested the algae from. I did provide lighting during the experiment. All the jars were clustered 12" under a double strip T-5 and I used Seachem Excel.
Then I'll keep my answers the same, and explain the reasoning behind them after you reveal the results, and we'll find out how ignorant I am about planted tank chemistry. :)

Sponsors