Mosses for nano?

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
kerokero

Mosses for nano?

Post by kerokero »

I can see that I'm going to start getting really annoying over this nano, so I apologize ahead of time - I'm totally out of my comfort zone with this thing :shock:

The tank is turning into a crypt and cryt-look-alike tank, and I wanted to add a little bit of moss in the tank for contrast... but the mosses I have are either too "big" for what I want (Fissidens fontanus, mystery moss I think is xmas from Sean) or doesn't keep that nice "pillow moss" look I was really hoping to try (java, taiwan). I also have riccia and Süßwassertang but the liverwort just isn't the look I was going for...

I've been hunting around online, and came up with some other species of moss/liverwart that may possibly fit my idea, but I'm clueless on... Fissidens splachnobryoides (to 1/4in tall - sounds perfect), maybe Plagiomnium trichomanes, Plagiomnium affine, or Star Moss (Tortula ruralis). I'm sure you guys know the website I was looking at :roll:

Anyone working with Fissidens splachnobryoides or something that will stay really, really short that might work in the tank? Other recomendations?
Best, Corey
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

IIRC neither Affine nor Star moss are an aquatic plant.

They are bog plants I think.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

Good for frog tank, bad for fish tank. Got it. (IIRC means what?)

I want to try the F. splachnobryoides the more I look at it... but I also don't want to have to get it from a source out of the country for reasons you brought up before :?
Best, Corey
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

IIIRC
If
I
Recall
Correctly

*steps out to let those who know in here to educate.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

The mystery moss grew out of a piece of Fissidens that I got from Aquatic Magic or some such place. It is a nice moss in that is grows against the surface it is on and clings to it. i.e It doesn't get 'tall'. There is some moss floating around the club from Mr. Amano's demonstration at the 2004 AGA. Maybe you'd like that stuff.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I bought Plagiomnium trichomanes, Plagiomnium affine, and Star Moss (Tortula ruralis) a few months ago to investigate their use, and so far, the only one that's grown at all has been Plagiomnium trichomanes. The other two do not appear to be aquatic. That said, Plagiomnium trichomanes does not look like the picture the seller I bought it from (and presumably the one you're looking at) advertises, and really is nothing special.

Just out of curiosity, are you sure you have Fissidens fontanus? I would think that to be a great nano moss, as it is not pillowy, and creates a nice velcro/short look on rocks/wood. If you would like any Taiwan moss, just PM me before the meeting, and I'll bring you some, but it is of similar size to willow moss.
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

Well, it came from Ghazanfar... and I'm guessing it's the same Fissidens in his 215g. I thought it was F. fontanus because it looks the same as the pics I've seen of it? The clump has stems over an inch loong and may be too much of a "bush" in the 2.5g, especially since it's nearly as tall as some of the plants I'm using!

My taiwan moss is currently hosting a hair algae convention. I guess I'll have to experiment with it a little more and get the algae under control :? Right now it's rather lanky since it's floating, and I guess I should try some on a surface and see if it grows more to my liking.

Sean, that's really good to know, because otherwise the moss looks huge... I didn't know it was a clinger (that's actually pretty awesome). And I'll never turn down moss if there is someone who has some of the moss handy from Amano's (Amano-sensei!) demonstration.
Best, Corey
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Does your fissidens look like this?

http://www.aquamoss.net/Fissidens-fonta ... ntanus.htm

One thing, most mosses will get unruly if left untrimmed. Most can be kept tight against the wood, but it's just a matter of trimming effort.
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

Yup, it's a dead ringer for it. I didn't know it came from the US though!

I'll have to practice some aggressive trimming then it seems...
Best, Corey
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I just happen to have ordered Fissidens splachnobryoides, Fissidens zippelianus, and willow moss from aquaticmagic last night. I'll grow it out as fast as I can. 8) :wink:

Sponsors