Help setting up the new tank!

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
ingg

Help setting up the new tank!

Post by ingg »

First draft at the hardscape.

The plan so far is:

anubias and java fern surrinding and on the rock/wood mound on the right.

Foreground of HC, perhaps some lobelia to break up the line.

Inside the little rock ring, a stand of about 20 Rotala mini type 2. I'm figuring all the small rocks up front disappear once HC is in, using them to try and make an easy trim point/separation line.

Background center and left, a 12" or so tall hairgrass species.

Looking for something all green with this splash of color from the tiny stems of rotala type 2.

Inspiration is those beautiful mound type setups like those I've seen from Roy Deki - I don't think I can match those superb setups, and am looking to deviate a bit, but that is the mood and feel of what I'm shooting for.

Anyhow, here is the hardscape first go, with some of the anubias that'll go into the tank.

I'm looking for feedback and alteration suggestions now, much harder to do once the tank is full - those branches ar boogers to move around once it gets locked in. ;)

PLEASE BE HONEST, appreciate all who can give your feedback! If it stinks, lemme know, what would you change? Different plants, change the hardcape, let me know!

Dave
PadreJP

Post by PadreJP »

I love the rock ring effect on the left. Very impressive!
Fr. John Paul Walker, O.P.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

It looks great to me so far but I have a lousy imagination. I need to see it with the plants...
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

relly nice, i love anubias, hope they can attach and grow on the wood upwards, that would look nice 8)
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

My thoughts, move all the hardscape forward about 2 inches. Lose the big rock on the left and leave that open.

If you want a mound scape like Roy, they you need to center the wood and large stones with supporting stones around the outside. Usually the sides are open.
Jeff U.

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

What Jeff said, plus you may want to use some larger stones for the front part of the circular ring. HC will be 2" tall, and will bury those stones out of site. Otherwise, the right side is really strong. Keep us updated!
ingg

Post by ingg »

I'm planning to lose the front of the ring, just want it there so HC doesn't root inside the rotala stand. ;) If you guys like the ring, I need ot use larger stones for it! Those are only sticking up like 1".

I know, I tried doing a center mound, wood is too dang long, I have no short branchy stuff. ;( I'm too chicken to break it all, hehe.

Lemme play with that left side some, thanks!
Dave
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

would be nice that you keep the ring, try some larger petrified wood or maybe rainbow rock, the ones with holes can give a nice effect when the plants start growing that you can see them pock out of it, or you can use it as a planter which is what i usually do 8)
maddog10

Post by maddog10 »

I would go with an oak finish tank and stand. :D

Don't like the big rock to the left, but can't picture what it would look like when the plants filled in and grew.
ingg

Post by ingg »

Tinkering with it.... rocks changes up some, do like this look more.

I don't want to push it all forward, because there is no intention of big stems behind it.

Wood still isn't quite right, have to get that teased out wild woman's hair look before I'm happy - random, but patterned, heh. Really just twisting and spinning, getting the angles to where I like it more..and getting it to stay there, have about 20 little rocks holding it in! This is really close on the wood.

Dave

Sponsors