ADA Winner- Aquascaping kinda post/discussion

Show us your pictures!
Ben Belton

ADA Winner- Aquascaping kinda post/discussion

Post by Ben Belton »

Did y'all see the tank that won the ADA? I received my winner's book yesterday. I'm really surprised. Everything Amano has always been about is matching proportion for proportion and spatial arrangement, and all I can see is this big a@@ rock in my face. I'm really surprised. It looks like it is about to dump off into the floor in front of you.
Attachments
zz5.jpg
zz5.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
John G

Post by John G »

It’s certainly not my cup of tea…but then it has been years since I’ve liked the kinds of things Amano is championing.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
ingg

Post by ingg »

John G wrote:It’s certainly not my cup of tea…but then it has been years since I’ve liked the kinds of things Amano is championing.
:nods:

Respect the heck out of the guy for what he's done for the hobby in terms of broadening the appeal and widening the base... not so crazy about his style.

Very talented. Extremely talented. I learned a lot about style from reading and looking. I just don't care for trimmed moss, etc.
Dave
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

I love Amano's work and ADA. I don't see why this tank won.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I actually like this tank! I can't say I've seen many others just like it. Is it rock or wood? I have a hard time believing that he got rock to float out like that, unless he glued a ton of rocks together. Kind I said, I do like it, and think it won for some originality...
jweis

Post by jweis »

Anyone that has seen my tanks knows I like to cram a ton of stuff in them, however, I will say this tank does have an amazing sense of depth. I also like the precarious sense of balance of the rocks/wood.

Again, not my personal style, but I appreciate it.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I like the rock - it is imaginative. However the planting is definitely lacking.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I agree with John and Cristy. It seems the newer winners of the ADA contest all win for hardscape layout rather than healthy robust plants. Anyone can grow moss and grasses intertwined. That's not to say that hardscape layout is a piece of cake, but it's not the whole picture. Amano's old stuff is still the best.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Aaron wrote:Amano's old stuff is still the best.
I agree with that. I mostly prefer his older more simple designs.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I kinda agree with Kris & Julie, my first impression was the rock in the background coupled with the fsh looking so distant gave a nice depth and it's all framed buy the rocks in your face. Unfortunately if you change your vantage point just slightly it all goes away but I still like it and from the sides it looks like a fairly deep tank.

I also like how you see light between the rocks but it kinda gives it away, the far right is the counter balance for the rock reaching toward the center, it's a nice job of hardscaping IMO.
Sincerely,
Tim

Sponsors