2019 AGA Contest is open!

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
DonkeyFish

Re: 2019 AGA Contest is open!

Post by DonkeyFish »

I love all this planning. Also puffers. They're not a typical choice, which (to me) is awesome. Remember, biotope tanks don't always have plants....if you could stand that! :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Just remember -- it only matters what's in the photo. Throw in whatever algae crew you need, and you can pull them out before the photo. What you don't list, they'll never know. ;-)
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

Not actually that worried about algae, I just like shrimp... which totally will not survive the puffers. When I first got the puffers I had cycled their tank ahead of time with like 200+ snails... they murdered them all within 8 hours. I've seen photos of schoutedeni puffers feeding on frozen bloodworms next to crystal shrimp and both just eating the worms, but mine only want to eat live inverts (shrimp, crawfish, snails, worms... daphnia/bbs too small for them to care) and just completely ignore frozen bloodworms. Most of the congo river is blackwater, I think however even though the teleogramma brichardi and schoutedeni are found geographically extremely close to each other, it's right at the cutoff where the congo diverted and skipped what used to be its river delta and suddenly just drops into the sea with crazy rapids/carved a 800 foot deep channel so they probably rarely if ever meet and actually are in wildly different conditions separated by like a mile...

I've never actually kept upside-down cats, I can't find the smaller upside-down cat that only gets to 2.4 inches that apparently can be found in Pool Malebo with Schoutedeni (they don't seem to really be in the trade at all) but it says the normal 4" upside down cat can be found throughout RotC DRC & Cameroon. They also claim they will eat algae... so I'll just have to see they're probably enough in low light blackwater with easy plants, probably don't even need much of any "algae crew" in the first place :/

I've actually got some microsynodontis that might be in the area but I can't confirm where they're really from... and they're a size that is maybe a little risky with the puffers.

Sponsors