New BB Software?

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Did we change or update the fourms software?

Response times seem to have slowed overall for the entire site.
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

ANyone???

The forum sections of the site are painfully slow. Am I on the only one seeing this. Are you not visiting as often due to the pain incurred in trying to open a message?

Do we need new hosting?

Do we need a new bulliten Board software pkg?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Please let us know if you're experiencing less than acceptable speeds when accessing the GWAPA site. We're well aware of a few problems with the hosting companies' reliability, and are looking into alternatives.
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

right now its fine, but there are days when i sit here and twiddle my thumbs
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

I've noticed a slow down too. Lets switch from looking to finding alternatives.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Well, there are a couple of things that will need to be decided before we can do this. Ghazanfar and I have a particular hosting company in mind, but in order to switch to it, we would have to use a new forum package, such as phpBB, or another UNIX based one. Or, migrate our forums to another site entirely, such as the APC site as Nathan brought up here:

<a href="http://www.gwapa.org/forum/forum_posts. ... W=gnatster" target="_blank"> http://www.gwapa.org/forum/forum_posts. ... &KW=gnatst er</a>

Also, there will probably be a slightly higher cost for a new provider. (Seems that you get what you pay for in this arena.)

So, if anyone has any thoughts on various BB packages out there, please chime in.

-Kris
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

FYI... One of the topics of discussion at this months meeting will be regarding changes to the website and forums. I'd appreciate it if everyone would bring their ideas for new features to the website. Additionally, any suggestions for new bulletin board software will be accepted. Finally, if anyone is artistically gifted and would be interested in helping redesign the look and feel of the website, please let that be known as well.

Cya at the meeting!

-Kris
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

DFW uses www.liquidweb.com for hosting. Their basic hosting plan includes this BB forum program thing that GWAPA uses. Not sure if you were interested in them, but may make it much easier to change without loosing anything.

Ben

Sponsors