March meeting thread!

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

Thanks also for a great meeting. It was a treat to have it at "Arlene's Crack House!" :mrgreen:
Judi

Post by Judi »

marydotson wrote:Thanks also for a great meeting. It was a treat to have it at "Arlene's Crack House!" :mrgreen:
Huh? What DID I miss?? :shock:
halak

Post by halak »

You don't wanna know, Judi. :P
Viktor
dougrm3

Thank you and question

Post by dougrm3 »

Wanted to say thank you for a great meeting and ask a question about the emersed setup. How is the bag of moss used in the setup? Is it mixed with the baked clay substrata?

Thanks again,
Doug
Bgssamson

Post by Bgssamson »

Any video/notes/how to's about the meeting? i am interested to learn the emersed set-up after getting the nurii from GG.

Thanks!

-Brian
ブライアン BRIAN S.
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

Brian--

No video was taken, but here's a recap:

--why to grow emersed (keep a reserve supply of plants, grow out blooms for plant id, store pond plants over the winter, get a head start on growth on delicately rooted plants (like UT) or marsh plants that prefer a slightly drier start)
--basic tools: use a seed starting tray with an adjustable ventilated plastic cover. Emersed plants are not fussy, so pretty much any medium will do. Folks in the room seemed to have experience using pretty much any clear container on hand--so if you don't have a seed starter, improvise.
--Plant cuttings, cover and put in a lighted window or under fluorescents.
--Cram as many pots in as you can. Square pots cram in better than round.
--Spray leaves with water with plant food at 1/4 strength to keep humidity up. Only caution is to watch humidity level--if over 80%, ventilate.
--Maintenance: check water to make sure it doesn't get yucky. If it does, take out plants and wash tray out with bleach water.

I think that's about it-I didn't get notes on the use of the dried moss provided, but I do know that moss has antibiotic qualities for houseplants. Base on that, I think it might be intended for mixing with the soil as a prophylactic. However, I've been keeping an emersed setup for a while--and never used it--so if you don't feel you want it, it is always nice as a soil cover for a potted plant!

That was my take--others may have more to share (or correct from my recap)--chime in!
Bgssamson

Post by Bgssamson »

Thanks Mary for sharing! :D I will start reading and get on with this project. Does the moss you talking about can be bought at HD or lowes or specialty store? i will try to do with and without it to see which will grow better.

-Brian
ブライアン BRIAN S.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

The moss that was provided looked like dried sheet moss generally used as a hanging basket liner or for decoration in terrariums and planters. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.

Some use dried long-fiber sphagnum moss which comes in a small compressed bale available in any HD/Lowe's or garden center. I've only limited experience using it for some easy stems as it was all I had on hand at the time. It has a tendancy to come back to life and start growing again for me.

Cheers.
Jim

Sponsors