October Meeting!

News & upcoming events
kerokero

October Meeting!

Post by kerokero »

October meeting is coming up next weekend, and I can't WAIT to see what these Paludariums look like when Nick and I are done!

In the mean time, my floating plants have been doing AWESOME so I'll be bringing plants for once :lol: I use these as primarily nutrient export in my tanks, not as fry hiding spots. Some fish also are much bolder with floating plants above them, I know my Boraras are shameless beggars with all the floating plants above them making them feel safe.

For anyone newer to the hobby, yes these are rarer floaters but no, they are not hard :D

- Giant Duckweed (Spirodela polyrhiza) - easy to remove when it gets to be too much, unlike its smaller cousin
- Fringed Heartword/Floating Liverwort (Ricciocarpos natans) - a floating liverwort! Basically the Liverwort version of Azolla. Very short roots that are nice and red
- Asian Watergrass (Hygroryza aristata) - A true grass that has air pockets in its stems to float. Can get some nice fluffy root systems going for fish fry, a larger floating plant as well as the stems just keep getting looooonger and looooooooonger.
- Tiger Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) - As easy as regular Amazon Frogbit, but with tiger stripes around the edges. Seems to stay smaller than the regular green as well, but the same loooong roots.

All my tanks have snails and such but I'll try not to include them. I also try REALLY HARD to NOT have common duckweed. I can't guarantee it because it's plague, but I hate the stuff so it's significantly less likely to show up.

Anyone else bringing something fun? I'm probably not bringing food or drinks since I'll be dragging the tank with me for the demo.
Best, Corey
Tim_Koles

Re: October Meeting!

Post by Tim_Koles »

Not sure my aquatic plants but I will have some.

I do know that I a getting rid of other things. These are give aways unless someone really wants to toss me a few bucks for them. Basically not going to overwinter these so get them before they die.

1 Boston Fern
Several Canna Lilies 'Wyoming'
Several black Elephant Ears - Not sure type
I have several starts of an Angelwing Begonia. They have roots and are ready to plant in potting soil.

Ill post more later as I figure it out.

Tim
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

I, too, am really looking forward to this meeting!

I just had knee surgery last week, so I will really need help setting up for this meeting. If some people could show up a little earlier for the meeting to help set up, I would really appreciate it!!! We will need to figure out how to best set up the tables for Nick and Corey to work on, a table for the auction items, and a table for snacks and refreshments.

Speaking of snacks and refreshments, can some people bring some to share? We could use drinks and finger foods to share, as I am hoping for a good attendance.

See you all there!

Regards,
Arlene, the Limpy
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I'm going to bring pulled pork and buns for sandwiches and maybe an Asian cole slaw.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

Unfortunately i will not be able to make this meeting. :(
JLW

Post by JLW »

kerokero wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:23 pm October meeting is coming up next weekend, and I can't WAIT to see what these Paludariums look like when Nick and I are done!

In the mean time, my floating plants have been doing AWESOME so I'll be bringing plants for once :lol: I use these as primarily nutrient export in my tanks, not as fry hiding spots. Some fish also are much bolder with floating plants above them, I know my Boraras are shameless beggars with all the floating plants above them making them feel safe.

For anyone newer to the hobby, yes these are rarer floaters but no, they are not hard :D

- Giant Duckweed (Spirodela polyrhiza) - easy to remove when it gets to be too much, unlike its smaller cousin
- Fringed Heartword/Floating Liverwort (Ricciocarpos natans) - a floating liverwort! Basically the Liverwort version of Azolla. Very short roots that are nice and red
- Asian Watergrass (Hygroryza aristata) - A true grass that has air pockets in its stems to float. Can get some nice fluffy root systems going for fish fry, a larger floating plant as well as the stems just keep getting looooonger and looooooooonger.
- Tiger Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) - As easy as regular Amazon Frogbit, but with tiger stripes around the edges. Seems to stay smaller than the regular green as well, but the same loooong roots.

All my tanks have snails and such but I'll try not to include them. I also try REALLY HARD to NOT have common duckweed. I can't guarantee it because it's plague, but I hate the stuff so it's significantly less likely to show up.

Anyone else bringing something fun? I'm probably not bringing food or drinks since I'll be dragging the tank with me for the demo.
You have Hygroryza?! Luis and I are the people responsible for that plant being around. I think we both gradually lost it years ago, and I have been searching high and low for it.
Argh, do I have to actually come to a meeting now? :)
><>
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Yes, you do, Josh!

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
halak

Post by halak »

I will be there along with cutlery, plates, cups, and such. I will probably bring some Bolbitis for the auction. Also, I have 7, more than an inch long black emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri) for $25 that I can bring to the meeting. I can bring some free hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) if anyone wants some.
Viktor
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Can someone bring drinks and ice?
JLW

Post by JLW »

Dangit, I've got a conflict -- I have to pickup material for an installation. :(
><>

Sponsors