Aquatic Plant Potting Soil Recipe
By Sherry Mitchell
Sherry Mitchell maintains a beautiful 2000 gallon pond with several varieties of water lilies. To pot her lilies, and other aquatic plants, Sherry uses this recipe to meet their nutrition requirements.
- Osmocote Time Release Fertilizer
- One Part Heavy Garden Compost or Topsoil (no peat!)
- One Part Walmart Red Bag Plain Kitty Litter
- Put fertilizer in bottom of planting pot.
- Layer garden compost.
- Plant aquatic plants.
- Top with a layer of kitty litter.
- Wet with water
- Top with gravel.
- Slowly sink to desired level in pond or water garden.
For more information on Sherry garden and pond, please see our June 2009 meeting notes.