Simple Macro Mix

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Ben Belton

Re: Simple Macro Mix

Post by Ben Belton »

krisw wrote:The primary use I know of is as an insect killer.
I am thinking of Alum that is used to pickle stuff.

I have some old pharmacists type scales (torsion balance) that I use to measure stuff. They are very accurate, but would be a major PIA to this often.

sns26

Post by sns26 »

I'll run this recipe in my autodosers...if Ghazanfar brings Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate to the next meeting. I only use KNO3 and KH2PO4.

I have lots of extra dosing bottles if anyone wants 'em.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Sam, you can buy the other nitrates at GLA or even Amazon.com.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

I could use a couple dosing bottles.
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Kris asked that I post the latest...

Stock Solution A
H20 250ml
KNO3 15g
5Ca(NO3)2.NH4NO3.10H2O 5g

Stock Solution B
H20 250 ml
MgSO4.7H2O 3g
KH2PO4 2g
K2SO4 14g

The 5Ca.. in Stock A, is what is sold (incorrectly) as Calcium Nitrate in the US.

Dosage is easy, for a 100 G tank, use 100ml of Stock A and 100ml of B, 3 x per week. For a 75G, use 75ml etc and so forth.
Don't forget, start with half to 2/3 the amount of water, dissolve the salts and then top up with water to make the total volume of solution. E.g. if making a liter of this, you'll need to first dissolve 4x the amount of salts in say, 750ml of water. Once everything is dissolved, top up with enough water to make a 1 liter solution.

Full Excel attached for any chem nerds..
Attachments
fertz.xlsx
(15.04 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

I am trying to pair Ghazanfar Ghori's Macro mix with whats available at GLA. I can match up the ingredients for all of Solution B, but I am not sure about 5Ca(NO3)2.NH4NO3.10H2O in Solution A. The calcium nitrate is there Ca(NO3) and NH4NO3 the internet tells me is ammonium nitrate, and H20 is water. Is this somehow a sub-mix of Solution A? Can someone help interpret this line?

The mixes at GLA seem awfully small. How long do they last (approx as you are using different gram sizes of each).
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

That 5Ca is 'Calcium Nitrate'. In the US, they sell the double salt incorrectly as calcium.nitrate. ugh.

Get the GLA calcium.nitrate and use as 5Ca.

1:1
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

G.

Thx, I think, ahem, I understand.

Anyone for the 2nd question on how long the GLA fertz last? Is there anywhere else to purchase larger quantities, if warranted.

Thx
P
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

FishNChips wrote:Anyone for the 2nd question on how long the GLA fertz last? Is there anywhere else to purchase larger quantities, if warranted.
You can usually find them on Amazon or eBay cheaper, but I don't think often in larger quantities.

Wait... well actually THIS is a 5lb bag for $15. So same price for 5x as much. A guy on Planted Tank has been making his own micro mix, and he sources from Amazone.
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

For those interested, I edited Ghazanfar Ghori's macro mix excel, mainly to determine how much to purchase and how long the batches would last based on tank size and dosing. Hopefully, I didn't make any errors. Should be attached.

Comparing Greenway Biotech (https://www.greenwaybiotech.com) to GLA, seems cheaper only in large quantities.
Attachments
MacroFertilizationMix_2018-03-10.xlsx
(17.7 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

Sponsors