Whitish covering on cores

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Tim_Koles

Whitish covering on cores

Post by Tim_Koles »

Hi all,

My Sterbai cores are all starting to show a whitish covering on their heads and "shoulders". This article here pretty much describes things perfectly and has picture. Has anyone seen this before? Thoughts. I am still dealing with an green whiter issue but the fish had it before that started.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fresh ... nyway.html

Thanks
Tim
Linus_Cello

Re: Whitish covering on cores

Post by Linus_Cello »

I've never seen or had this before with my sterbai, to the best of my knowledge.
Try a search on this in planetcatfish? I find the people on that forum to be the most knowledgable.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hey Tim,

That's usually a response to stress, and indicates a heavy slime coat that is being bugged by bacteria (Usually! it can be a few other things, but that's the most common). Check your water conditions and especially temperature. You want a neutral to slightly acid pH and a high temperature -- 76-80°F. It could also be nitrate, or any number of other bugs.
><>
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Thanks Josh and Linus

Temperature in the tank is running about 81 now that it's summer so a little higher than the range you suggest. The water parameters look good except I did notice a up tic in the pH. It's about 7.2 while before it was running in the high 6's not sure why this happened but I wonder if it has something to do with the algae outbreak I am having as well. I need to do some normal tank work this week and will look into it a bit more then.

Tim

Sponsors