Sand?

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

dmartin72 wrote:Do not get the sand from HD
I'll second that, I bought play sand,I had that in my 55 for about 3 days, ruined a filter trying to clear the haze, and that was on the third day. I also cleaned about 3 pounds at a time in a bucket until the water was very clear.
gills

Post by gills »

Thanks everyone for this advice! One my way back to HD to return it! You all probably saved me hours!
dmartin72

Post by dmartin72 »

Susan,

Are you coming to the meeting this Saturday? If you are, I have two 25 pounds bags of white Estes Spectra Stone gravel that I would be willing to sell for $13 each. That's what I paid for them at the Aquariums Center. You'll be able to see what it looks like in my tank!
Sincerely,

David Martin
Mid-Atlantic Dendro Club
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:The elusive Ludwigia inclinata var pantanal
Heh heh...still a collector at heart.
ak

Post by ak »

Can someone post specific pool supply stores used to purchase this type of sand. I am re-doing my 65G tank and am doing sand in the front, flourite for the rest. AC doesn't carry Silica sand anymore (said its banned) which I have successfully used in the past so am looking for alternatives.
I would go for a coarser sand as I have playsand in the past too and its a chore to maintain it due to the particle size.
Anyway, any tips would be much appreciated.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

White 3M ColorQuartz

Ram Resinous Flooring & Quartz Supply
812 W. Patapsco Avenue, Suit M
Baltimore MD 21230

Phone (410)354-6400
Toll Free (888)264-1700

Talk to CJ or Bob.
Tell them that you are using it for an aquarium. The stuff runs about $25 for a 50 pound bag. The S grade is like fine sand, the T grade is what I got, is corser and not as uniform in shape. It is a ceramic coated aggragate, completely inert, it would be the same as using regular sand in a tank, you have to mix something into it for the plants.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)

Sponsors