Substrate suggestions

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Mopar32985

Substrate suggestions

Post by Mopar32985 »

Hey guys seeing if i could get some input. Im getting things slowly together to get my 40 breeder setup. Im feeling stumped on what i want to use for my substrate. At first i was thinking i was going to do a dirted tank wich i have had great luck with in my 10 gallon tank. I wa just going to cap it with pool filter sand but herd sand can be difficult for some roots to get established.
Then i staryed looking at eco complete but ppl are saying they use 4 to 5 bags on a 40 breeder is this right. Should i expect to spend over $100 on substrate for just a 40 breeder. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks

-Chance-

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
halak

Re: Substrate suggestions

Post by halak »

Come to the meeting this Saturday in Gaithersburg. The presenters will talk about substrate options.
Viktor
Mopar32985

Post by Mopar32985 »

halak wrote:Come to the meeting this Saturday in Gaithersburg. The presenters will talk about substrate options.
Thanks will def try to make it!

swmnwdafishes

Post by swmnwdafishes »

I just filled a 40B with Eco-Complete. Req's 2 bags at a minimum. Leaves about 1.5" flat bottom. I only used 3 in total. I could see poeple using 5 bags depending on how deep or sloped they wanted, but at that point you can add less expensive filler material to build up your contours and put Eco-Complete on top.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Please do not tap on glass. It scares the plants.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Are you looking for a black substrate, or are you considering other colors? You can find some new and used substrates from members (including myself) after you decide what type you like best.
Mopar32985

Post by Mopar32985 »

swmnwdafishes wrote:I just filled a 40B with Eco-Complete. Req's 2 bags at a minimum. Leaves about 1.5" flat bottom. I only used 3 in total. I could see poeple using 5 bags depending on how deep or sloped they wanted, but at that point you can add less expensive filler material to build up your contours and put Eco-Complete on top.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Thabks for the info thats what i was thinking at worse get 2 bags and mix in some standard gravel with it.

Mopar32985

Post by Mopar32985 »

Cristy Keister wrote:Are you looking for a black substrate, or are you considering other colors? You can find some new and used substrates from members (including myself) after you decide what type you like best.
Im def not just set on black i would really be fine with any natural color. Preferably darker tans or browns.

halak

Post by halak »

I have some light brownish soilmaster select I don't need. You'll see on Saturday.
Viktor
Mopar32985

Post by Mopar32985 »

halak wrote:I have some light brownish soilmaster select I don't need. You'll see on Saturday.
Ok sounds great thanks!

Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I have more than half a bag of API Aquatic Plant Media (light brown) $12.

Sponsors