Substrate imput

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Substrate imput

Post by krisw »

From Wikipedia:
When growing aquatic plants, the Cation Exchange Capacity[8] (CEC) is also an important thing to consider when choosing a substrate. CEC is the ability to absorb positively charged nutrient ions (so high CEC is good). This means the substrate will hold nutrients and make them available for the plant roots. It doesn’t indicate the amount of nutrients the substrate contains.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

ddavila06 wrote:
krisw wrote:Flourite is *not* inert. It has a rather high CEC to absorb nutrients. I just don't like it because it's rough, compacts, and is more difficult to plant in.
what are CEC?

Becca, the main reason im switching is that i am tired of seeing red and black mixed...flourite "dark" has that dark color mixed w red.. :/ ugly to the eye.
Oh, I like the mixed look. I have a mix of Flourite, Flourite Dark, and Aquasoil in my 33.

Why not try the CaribSea Eco Complete in black? It's very uniform in color.
sukrol

Post by sukrol »

krisw wrote:Flourite is *not* inert. It has a rather high CEC to absorb nutrients. I just don't like it because it's rough, compacts, and is more difficult to plant in.
Cool! So It's like a better version of Eco-Complete? I didn't know...
Gabriel
JLW

Post by JLW »

My big problem with fluorite is that it breaks down over time, and is very, very dusty. You stir the gravel bed a little bit, and ... the tank is cloudy for the next month.
><>
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

JLW wrote:My big problem with fluorite is that it breaks down over time, and is very, very dusty. You stir the gravel bed a little bit, and ... the tank is cloudy for the next month.
must be a very long time,..i had this f. dark for like 4 years now. just hate the look..

Thansk Krisfor the clarification on that CEC thing.
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"

Sponsors