Here We Go Again.... Maybe

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Ben Belton

Here We Go Again.... Maybe

Post by Ben Belton »

I think this is the best place for this. Hate to say I’m going to get a tank together again, because it might not happen. For now though, if it is to happen, I need to ask some questions.

1. I have some 10 year old Aquasoil. I’m told the shrimp people would pay $$$ for it, and I'd love to get rid of it and get new stuff, but I have no idea how to reach these people or how much to ask for it, so I’m going to use it. I’ve asked Ghazanfar every year for the last 10 years how you start/cure it. I believe I need to change 50% of the water every day for a week. The newer Aquasoil isn’t like this I don't believe. Does anyone remember?

2. I might do a white sand area. Where do you get the real white sand? Not the brown stuff from Lowe's Hardware. Is it just the same sand you buy for salt tanks?

2b. I may need some of the cheap brown sand too. It was from Lowe's right? I'm going to get a 20H and try to figure out how I'm going to arrange my rocks. I'd rather scratch the glass in a 20H than the good aquarium.

3. Do I need to add anything (nutrients) to the water if I use Aquasoil? I know I will eventually as it gives out but at first do I start adding anything? Traces?

4. My old CO2 regulators are trash. They weren’t that great a quality when they were new. Was thinking about getting a Green Leaf one. All my dealings with Green Leaf in the past were positive. I want a good one, but doesn't have to be the top high end one. Brass is just as pretty as stainless.... under an aquarium stand with the door shut. Does anyone have other suggestions?

5. Where is everyone’s favorite site for tissue cultured plants? I see Rachel has some now. I always like dealing with her.

6. Monte Carlo is new since my last incarnation in this hobby. If I want to make a foreground with it, how important is it that I do one of those waterless starts that people do now?

Thanks,
Ben
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Here We Go Again.... Maybe

Post by krisw »

Ben Belton wrote:I think this is the best place for this. Hate to say I’m going to get a tank together again, because it might not happen. For now though, if it is to happen, I need to ask some questions.

1. I have some 10 year old Aquasoil. I’m told the shrimp people would pay $$$ for it, and I'd love to get rid of it and get new stuff, but I have no idea how to reach these people or how much to ask for it, so I’m going to use it. I’ve asked Ghazanfar every year for the last 10 years how you start/cure it. I believe I need to change 50% of the water every day for a week. The newer Aquasoil isn’t like this I don't believe. Does anyone remember?

Not sure -- but if you've got Aquasoil, it's not worth replacing it IMO. Each bag was quite variable. Many tanks I setup and dig weekly water changes. Others, I did 2-3 big water changes the first few days, and then settled into the weekly routine. I can't really say one was more effective that the other, especially if you're not starting with fauna.

2. I might do a white sand area. Where do you get the real white sand? Not the brown stuff from Lowe's Hardware. Is it just the same sand you buy for salt tanks?

Lighthouse brand pool filter sand. Any pool supply store should have it. I'm sure there are other brands that are fine, but my local store carries that. It's like $15-$20 for a 50lb bag.

2b. I may need some of the cheap brown sand too. It was from Lowe's right? I'm going to get a 20H and try to figure out how I'm going to arrange my rocks. I'd rather scratch the glass in a 20H than the good aquarium.

Believe it or not, but Lighthouse pool filter sand comes in white and brown. The brown is really an offwhite, and what I usually get. If you want actual brown sand, I guess the Lowes stuff, but I thought that buffers the water?

3. Do I need to add anything (nutrients) to the water if I use Aquasoil? I know I will eventually as it gives out but at first do I start adding anything? Traces?

For first month, you probably don't need much of anything, but traces (particularly K) are usually the first things you need to add, and won't hurt anything by dosing from the get-go.

4. My old CO2 regulators are trash. They weren’t that great a quality when they were new. Was thinking about getting a Green Leaf one. All my dealings with Green Leaf in the past were positive. I want a good one, but doesn't have to be the top high end one. Brass is just as pretty as stainless.... under an aquarium stand with the door shut. Does anyone have other suggestions?

I really like my GLA regulators. I have a top-of-the-line, and a mid-range one. No idea on the models at this point, but I don't think they sell a crappy one at this point.

5. Where is everyone’s favorite site for tissue cultured plants? I see Rachel has some now. I always like dealing with her.

Rachel or Josh are definitely recommended. Of course, many local stores (including big box) are carrying FAN's (Topfin) TC plants now if you want to see before you buy. Rachel/Josh carry Tropica and both are great GWAPA supporters. I believe the Senske's sell some too.

6. Monte Carlo is new since my last incarnation in this hobby. If I want to make a foreground with it, how important is it that I do one of those waterless starts that people do now?

No dry start required. It won't hurt, of course, but not required.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Who is Josh?

I've been trying to get back into the forums like Planted Tank a little bit. Do they pick up in winter? They are kind of annoying right now. People with weird and ridiculous advice.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

Josh Weigert or JLW who is proprietor of Batfish Aquatics
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

OK. Nothing on his web page. I'll mail him if I need.

Sponsors