Whats your pH?

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Tim_Koles

Whats your pH?

Post by Tim_Koles »

Finally had some time to make some progress on my tank. Put the additional light on the timer to come on while the CO2 is running. Got the glass cut and the hinges on for the top to prevent heat and water loss.

Ive been playing around with the CO2 and right now have it at about 80 bubbles per minute. I'm trying to get it so it doesn't drop the ph a lot while it is on. Right now it seems to be stabilized at 6.8 going to 6.6. The water from the tap is right at 7.0 so I think it will go up a bit the next water change. I know my question is very broad and depends on a lot of things but I'm looking at the drop at the moment. Is a .2 drop in ph ok or is it nothing and I can do more. Just looking for some guidelines as I stock the tank and work out the equipment.

Thanks
Tim
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Whats your pH?

Post by krisw »

Tim, a good rule-of-thumb is to drop the pH 1 degree. In your case, a pH hovering around 6.0 should be fine. Obviously, any observed ill-effects on fish should overrule this general guideline. Of course, experimentation is a key to this hobby, so if you're worried about going that low, try doing the downward adjustment gradually until you find the sweet spot for plant growth, algae-control, pearling, etc.

Long ago, Sean advised that he dials it down until he consistently gets tons of pearling in the evenings. Then he dials it back a little bit until there's only a minimal amount to avoid the complete soda bottle effect.

Hopefully, one of these "rules" will help you out...

Sponsors