Mold in my micros:

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
sns26

Mold in my micros:

Post by sns26 »

Eeeeew. This never used to happen. My micros are 50/50 Seachem Flourish and water with a dash of Kent Iron.

I could swear that this started when I kicked the old 2 liter bottle of Flourish and bought a new one. I've cleaned and bleached the whole works, including the dosing lines, but can't seem to get rid of this muck.
Attachments
mold in my micros.jpeg
mold in my micros.jpeg (43.38 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Nikhilsk99

Re: Mold in my micros:

Post by Nikhilsk99 »

This happened to me once and I trashed the mix. Later I started using distilled water to mix my dry fert and never seen it.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

I think some of the dosing guys add a little muriatic acid but I'll let them chime in. The distilled water suggestion up there ^^^^ is the first place to start. You could microwave the solution before you put it into a sterilized bottle as well.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
tug

Post by tug »

I use distilled water for trace solutions because PO4 levels are reported to be around 3ppm in our DC tap water.

Ascorbic Acid to keep the solutions pH at 6 or less, the chelators used are a lot more stable in a solution with a pH of 6 or less. Though it may inhibit some mold, it should keep iron from dropping out of solution and is also an anti-oxidant.

For mold I use Potassium Sorbate, a food grade yeast and mold inhibitor that is most effective at a pH ≤ 6
It might just be thar=t it nocks out what the pH does not.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm
Last edited by tug on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
tug

Post by tug »

Another option would be to add 25mL Excel to every liter of trace stock solution but IME, it is less effective over time and I have been adding about 1/4 tsp each ascorbic acid and potassium Sorbate to a liter of solution. The actual recommended amount mentioned in James' blog is 0.5g, E300 Ascorbic Acid and 0.2g, E202 Potassium Sorbate to 500 ml distilled water.

I broke my scales and lost my 1/8 -1/16 tsp measurer. So, 1/4 tsp each E300 and E202, to one liter of solution and call it science.

Potassium Sorbate
http://www.md-health.com/Potassium-Sorbate.html
Adverse Health Effects of Potassium Sorbate
http://www.livestrong.com/article/35387 ... m-sorbate/

8)
Subject: Advice on liquid micros?
tug wrote:I'm thinking if you dilute the trace and there's a rise in the pH, you want to keep a pH below 6.
If you want to add a mold inhibitor, Potassium Sorbate is a food grade mold inhibitor.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.

Sponsors