dosing help needed

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
GOT MTS?

dosing help needed

Post by GOT MTS? »

Hi everyone,

today I went to dose ferts in my tank and got a big surprise. when I removed the lid on my dosing solution it smelled very heavy of ammonia. I make my solution about every 5 to 6 weeks in a 2L soda bottle. A few cups are poured into a second container for dosing my smaller tanks and the soda bottle is hooked up to my auto dosser. It was the small container that had the smell. The bigger bottle smelled normal.

I tested both bottles of solution by putting a drop in a test tube and then filling the rest with tank water. I am using the API test kit and both test read off the chart for ammonia. I tested again this time with just the solution that smelled normal. I tested at my normal dosing rate of 1ml per gallon of water by mixing it in a clean water jug. I was lazy and just used tap water this time. The test indicated 2ppm ammonia. The water in the aquarium that the auto dosser is hooked up to tests at 0 ammonia.

I am wondering if there is something in the solution that is throwing off the test or if my solution is really turning into ammonia.

My solution contains: Potassium sulfate, aquavitro for nitrogen, sea chem flourish, Kent's Iron and manganese and potassium sorbate to prevent mold growth.

Any thoughts?
Aaron

Re: dosing help needed

Post by Aaron »

You've been using that mix with success for a while now? I know the Aquavitro has ammoniacal sources of nitrogen...
tug

Post by tug »

What a great idea for an old soda bottle. Snap!

If I remember correctly, a useful range dosed w/ammoniacal N is close to 0.2 ppm daily.
I wouldn't think aquavitro would have any scent of ammonia - that would be interesting.
Did a fish get into the sm dosing bottle? That would be interesting too.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

The smell was definitely coming from the aquavitro. I took the cap off and it reaked of ammonia. Funny I don't remember it having any smell when I bought it. Any how there is only a little left and after it runs out I'm just going to get the other seachem stuff.

No fish in the small bottle. But it has a lid. I found when I leave the lid off overnight the smell goes away.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

GOT MTS? wrote:The smell was definitely coming from the aquavitro. I took the cap off and it reaked of ammonia. Funny I don't remember it having any smell when I bought it. Any how there is only a little left and after it runs out I'm just going to get the other seachem stuff.

No fish in the small bottle. But it has a lid. I found when I leave the lid off overnight the smell goes away.
Contact Seachem about the issue. They have super customer service.

Sponsors