Building an aquarium stand

Why buy when you can DIY?
shireen

Building an aquarium stand

Post by shireen »

Hi all ... I'm currently taking a beginner woodworking class. I'd like to build a simple stand for an Eheim Aquastyle Nano Aquarium 9 gallon. I believe the tank is footprint is 12" x 12" and it's 14" high. The standard height is 30". (I'd like to add a cabinet with 2 shelves for storage but that's optional.)

Since it's a beginner class, I need to work from a plan. Do you know where I could find something that I could scale down to work for a cube tank? Other tips would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
shireen
Aaron

Re: Building an aquarium stand

Post by Aaron »

I hear www.sketchup.com is a good program to use. I think there's a free version that's probably good enough for something like an aquarium stand.

If you are getting into woodworking have you discovered www.woodwhisperer.com ?
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

You can get templates for Sketchup. I found a cube stand template when I was planning mine.
turfboss

Post by turfboss »

Shireen -

goolge "aquarium stand plans" or "aquarium stand plans diy" for images and plans - there are lots of plans avail - some free some cost a minimal amount

here is a link to the first one above -- copy and paste into your browser --

https://www.google.com/search?q=aquariu ... tand+plans

George
shireen

Post by shireen »

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I just downloaded sketchup and will work on it this weekend. Aaron, thanks for the link to woodwhisperer, looks like a great site.
cheers,
shireen
shireen

Post by shireen »

One more question ... is it ok to use pine?

thanks,
shireen
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

shireen wrote:One more question ... is it ok to use pine?

thanks,
shireen
It depends on the final design. Will it be stained? If so, definitely avoid pine. It's notoriously blotchy and ugly when stained. Also, pine isn't as strong as hardwood.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

And whatever you do...make sure to use a very good sealer after you stain!! It will be worth its weight in gold down the road.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Pine is fine as a structural element. You can cover it in a nice plywood sheet veneer and put some corner trim on it. Just make sure you provide sufficient strength to prevent "racking" which almost any sheet material will provide.

Have fun!

jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Pine is fine and isn't blotchy if you get good quality stock to start with. Talk with your instructor. My dad and I made all my stands furniture quality from both pine and from hardwood vernier plywood. My 30 gallon sits on a pine Colonial style piece we made back in the 70's with no structural support that still looks as good as when it was made. Stain is either a Cohasset Colonials or Minwax stain. My 110 sits on a birch ply Shaker-style piece we made in the early 80's that is a 2x4 frame with the birch ply skin. This piece is just urethaned.

I'll post pictures when I get home Sunday.

Cheers.
Jim

Sponsors