Building an aquarium stand

Why buy when you can DIY?
Aaron

Re: Building an aquarium stand

Post by Aaron »

DonkeyFish wrote:And whatever you do...make sure to use a very good sealer after you stain!! It will be worth its weight in gold down the road.
True. Varnish (polyurethane) is probably the most durable, but also next to impossible to repair. An oil finish would work as well, but would need to be reapplied periodically to keep its protective properties.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

Agreed on the pine. Use a pre-stain treatment if you want to be sure. And avoid water-based stains, which seem to be more blotchy than the stinky stuff.

With a small size tank like that, why not go with an open cabinet (i.e. something that just looks like a table)? Whenever I get around to doing a nano (cue laughter) I will go that direction. It's easy to distract from a small tank with a imposingly solid stand.

Plus, tables are way easier to make than cabinets.
shireen

Post by shireen »

Hi everyone,

thanks very much for all the comments. I so appreciate it! :)

DelawareJim … you are right, and I wish I had thought of it. Unfortunately, the stand is almost done and it will be closed. I wanted a little storage space and didn't think about the aesthetics. Darn!

I'm taking an introductory woodworking class, and the stand was my second project (the first being a simple side table). I used the template at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... id=1169964 to design it. Fortunately, my woodworking class instructor is a fish enthusiast and had experience building stands. The last class is tomorrow, where we'll put the finishing touches on it, and I'll post a photo when I bring it home.

I'm using an Eheim Aquastyle 9g with it, very cute tank!

Again, thanks so much for the advice!

cheers,
shireen

Sponsors