DIY Reactor (Modified Duetto multi filter & Fluval Nano)

Why buy when you can DIY?
tug

DIY Reactor (Modified Duetto multi filter & Fluval Nano)

Post by tug »

To modify the Duetto multi filter, http://www.marineland.com/Products/aqua ... ilter.aspx
throw away all of the filter media that it comes with.

I have a few of these filters. *
When I use yeast, (DIY CO2) or pressurized CO2, I run the filter as an internal reactor/needlewheel.

Parts are interchangeable for both these filters, so I scavenged the DJ100's larger impeller and filtration housing.

It's difficult to say if they are worth the expense for diy people.
If there still available, they can sometimes be expensive for a powerhead.
Still, it's a quick and effective solution.

Tools for this project are;
  • needle nose pliers
  • a flat head screwdriver
  • any drill, auger or power drill
  • and one insert coupling, (little black thing that comes with the filter).
You could also crush off an old air stone ceramic cover (using the little plastic thingamabob inside)
Or, just stuff the air hose in the opening.

First:

The filter attaches horizontally against the tank. Horizontally,
allowing DIY CO2 to escape when the pump is not running - very nice for yeast reactors. :mrgreen:
  • The filter's suction cups are mounted on either side of the filter with just the removal of two punch outs. Pry off the top of the lid and remove the tabs if you need to keep the filter's intake vent up and parallel to the water's surface.
Image Image

Next:

Make the reactor.
  • Using a power drill or hand tool, drill an opening to the largest chamber, directly across from the impeller.
Just enough of an opening for your fitting or hose to attach.

Now that you have an opening for a CO2 line.
Snap the filter back together, insert the CO2 line, check valve (for diy, use a cv with a low cracking pressure) and your done.

"Counting Bubbles"
http://youtu.be/RH4Po_gSNCQ

Most of the CO2 diffuses into solution. There is a small pocket of air that stays in the chamber.
I notice micro-bubbles at fairly high gas rates if the air pocket is big enough to be sucked into the impeller.

"What's to Like…"
  • A small and efficient reactor for diffusing CO2.
  • Easy to make with simple tools.
  • No need for a bubble counter and a relatively small size powerhead to better circulate CO2.
  • When the pump is turned off by the timer, CO2 in the main chamber gasses off through the intake vent.
  • The CO2 line attaches to the filter in a way to create a venturi effect.
    This pressure difference in the line is very helpful w/diy sluggish fermentations.
  • Easy to clean when a yeast/DIY is providing CO2.
If you are looking for a way to increase your CO2 levels this little DIY is quick and easy to assemble.
* The Duetto is no longer manufactured, Post #11 explains the work-around for modifying the Fluval Nano filter.
Last edited by tug on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
jweis

Re: DIY Reactor (Modified Duetto multi filter)

Post by jweis »

Very nicely done. Love the horizontal picture. ;)
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
tug

Post by tug »

Thank you Julie. I honestly believe that this powerhead modification is more efficient at distributing the CO2 then the glass diffusers and uses less CO2 to achieve a better result. It doesn't require the weekly cleaning needed with glass diffusers either, which is nice. There is some misting after about 3-4 hours but if I want the carbonated look to go away, I shut off the powerhead for a few seconds to burp off the air pocket that's formed inside the reaction chamber.

I've looked at some of the other DIY needle wheel/powerhead modifications and this is about as easy a DIY as there is out there. It is fairly unobtrusive, but if I wanted to take a proper picture of the tank it would go into a bucket with the other equipment. :wink:
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

Can you simplify it? I can't read all that. Or give a presentation. I am not happy with diffusion methods. Bubblers get clogged. DIY inline reactors fill with air.
Mark Harnet
tug

Post by tug »

Hi Mark,
I'm afraid it would make for a very short presentation.
But, let me know if you would like me to bring it to one of the meetings.

As I understand it, all reactors develop an air pocket as gasses other then CO2 defuse out of solution.
The air pocket does not prevent the CO2 from diffusing into solution.

Here is a less verbose description of the modifications. :wink:

1. Remove all of the filter pads and bio balls that come with the filter. The filter chamber should be empty.

2. Drill a small opening for the CO2 line into the largest chamber of the main filter housing.
The pump comes with a small air intake adapter that can be used to attach the CO2 line.

The filter is then attached to the side of the aquarium glass,
parallel to the waters surface with the filter intake facing the waters surface.

In this picture the filter is being used as a skimmer. For CO2,
the filter might be placed lower in the tank but the position of the filter intake is the same.

3. This last step is for when you need to move the suction mounts, to position the filter.

Remove the aqua-sweep outlet and pry off the top. All this is easily understood when looking at the filter.
There are two tabs that can be removed. This allows the suction mounts to be placed on either side of the filter.
Attachments
b21b347c-c43e-403d-82f2-ae1c31f723b5.jpg
b21b347c-c43e-403d-82f2-ae1c31f723b5.jpg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Mark Harnet
jweis

Post by jweis »

Good idea for a skimmer too. :) Thanks for sharing.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
tug

Post by tug »

Needle wheel modifications are based on the filter design at hand.
This design includes a little reaction chamber w/out having to build one.

There are many ways to do this. A diy with an average powerhead fit with an internal reactor of some type.

They have problems. Any CO2 method has problems with tank lengths of 36" or more.
But, this reactor creates a flow pattern that adjusts.
tug

Post by tug »

Marineland no longer makes the Duetto multi filter (the sponges needed daily cleaning to prevent loss of flow) but Fluval makes a filter almost identical to the D100 for around $22. This is a good thing because I've gone through my available stock trying to improve this little reactor. There's one work-around when modifying the Fluval nano filter and I'll be posting it next but first, one additional modification is needed to make both filters even more efficient reactors.

The original modification could drop my 4.5 dKH water from a pH of 7.4 to 6.6 in about 2 hours.
This next modification dropped it to a pH of 6.4 in 1.5 hours.
API kit was used for determining pH & dKH.

All of the previous modifications are the same except,
another hole is drilled into the filter housing and the CO2 line is attached to this new opening using an elbow fitting.
The filter is then placed upside down into the tank. The filter is about 8" long so you will need a fairly deep tank to run it this way.
ImageImage

They still work sideways but more efficient run upside down.
The filters have three chambers in the filter housing.
The second hole drilled is into the area of the middle chamber about an inch from where the filter comes apart.

The original hole drilled into the bottom of the filter housing now allows the chamber to fill with water but won't let CO2 escape while the filter is running. This makes it an excellent reactor to use with yeast powered CO2 generators because it provides a way for gas to exit the filter when the pump is off. For pressurized CO2 systems the upside-down position provides additional dwell time in the reactor and a second layer of security should the solenoid valve stick open the CO2 just bubbles out to the surface until the pump turns on again.

Internal CO2 Reactor on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BNkdBrhPE
In the video I have placed the filter out in the open for easy viewing. Otherwise, it can be placed anywhere to provide the flow pattern you prefer or to reduce it's profile as you like. The bubble count in the video is a little high compared to the output of most yeast CO2 generators but I should get about a year out of a 20lb CO2 tank. And, for someone just starting to add CO2 this a is quick and easy DIY reactor perfect for yeast run generators.
Last edited by tug on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

o pooh! That reminds me I wanted to buy the bubble ladder at the PVAS auction, but left early.
Mark Harnet

Sponsors