Christmas Tree Watering

Why buy when you can DIY?
jweis

Christmas Tree Watering

Post by jweis »

I used some extra aquarium supplies to make myself a DIY Christmas Tree automatic watering system. No more climbing under the tree for me!

The key to my system is the container, which can be bought from Target or Walmart. It has a perfect size hole in the top for the small tubing. I know some people wrap their water bucket/containter to look like a present, but I sorta liked it being clear so I could tell at a glance when it needed to be filled. I used lead plant weight strips wrapped around both ends of the tubing to ensure it stayed at the bottom of the water container and the bottom of the Christmas Tree well. I used a twisty to make sure it stayed attached to the base of the Christmas tree.

My new Eheim priming bulb came in handy to get the siphon going, then all I had to do was to keep the container filled (being sure I didn't fill it above the level of the Christmas Tree's well).

I probably should have shared this a couple of weeks ago, but with two kids all the Christmas prep has taken up most of my extra time. Click on the picture below so you can also see the lead weight in the bottom of the container.
Attachments
x-mas tree watering system.jpg
x-mas tree watering system.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
John G

Re: Christmas Tree Watering

Post by John G »

"No more climbing under the tree for me!"

I have an even easier way to accomplish this: About four years ago I bought an artificial tree.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

jweis wrote: then all I had to do was to keep the container filled (being sure I didn't fill it above the level of the Christmas Tree's well).
Yeah, that's the trick. I once tried this a long, long time ago as a vacation watering system. Filled the external tank to the top and it siphoned all over the carpet, tree skirt, et cetera. Mopping up that mess was not the thing to be doing 5 minutes before you leave to visit parents and future in-laws for the week. Marlene, my fiance at the time, was not impressed with my lack of understanding of fluid dynamics. :oops: Now that I'm older and wiser, I subscribe to the John Godbey school when we will be away for Christmas. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

John G wrote:"No more climbing under the tree for me!"

I have an even easier way to accomplish this: About four years ago I bought an artificial tree.
I take the boys out to cut down our tree each year. It is great fun and I love the smell of a fresh tree in the house.
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

DelawareJim wrote:
jweis wrote: then all I had to do was to keep the container filled (being sure I didn't fill it above the level of the Christmas Tree's well).
Yeah, that's the trick. I once tried this a long, long time ago as a vacation watering system. Filled the external tank to the top and it siphoned all over the carpet, tree skirt, et cetera. Mopping up that mess was not the thing to be doing 5 minutes before you leave to visit parents and future in-laws for the week. Marlene, my fiance at the time, was not impressed with my lack of understanding of fluid dynamics. :oops: Now that I'm older and wiser, I subscribe to the John Godbey school when we will be away for Christmas. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Jim
I was taught the lesson of fluid dynamics when breaking down a tank and I wasn't paying attention to the water level in the temporary container. When I heard a splat, then a gushing sound, I quickly realized my living room floor was getting soaked.

I was very careful to measure the height of the Christmas tree's well, then marked the container one inch below that height. Works like a charm. Plus I was so pleased that for this DIY I had all the parts at home and didn't need to make one trip the HW store, PLUS I got it right on the FIRST try. :D That is unusual for most of my DIYs. I normally spend a lot of time and money, then end up buying the commericial version in the end. :(
Last edited by jweis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

I put up our Christmas tree last weekend (I know I got an early start), and put in place the watering system from last year. Works like a charm again this year. The tree is soaking up the water like crazy. Scroll down in this tread to see the simple mechanics of my system.
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I'm have been with John & JIm for about 7 years now, my fake 7 foot tree come with 1,000 multi colored lights built into three sections that just plug together, then I spray some Lysol with natural pine scent and I'm done.

However that is a beautiful watering system Julie!
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:I'm have been with John & JIm for about 7 years now, my fake 7 foot tree come with 1,000 multi colored lights built into three sections that just plug together, then I spray some Lysol with natural pine scent and I'm done.

However that is a beautiful watering system Julie!
I find it incredibly ironic that this group who is composed of people who admire REAL plants in their aquariums, put up FAKE Christmas trees. SIGH! Just when you think you know someone.... :roll:
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

If we could plant it under water and grow algae on it that would be different.
Sincerely,
Tim
Judi

Post by Judi »

150EH wrote:If we could plant it under water and grow algae on it that would be different.
Oh come on, it doesn't have to be underwater with algae on it --just think of it as emersed growth! :lol:

Sponsors