Lighting pond tank.

Lighting, filtration etc
aravind90chan

Lighting pond tank.

Post by aravind90chan »

Sorry to start a new thread. Based on the ideas from other thread about PAR, Kelvin, CRI etc, I have put together a couple of options for me to use for lighting my shallow low tech tank (2'x2'x1').Am planning to start a low tech, shallow tank 2'x2'x1' (lxbxh). Am looking at Please help me pick one and also add comments.
It will have a couple of emersed plants as well.

Current USA pro (1 nos)
Current USA pro (2 nos)
Current USA TruLumen (2nos)
T5 HO Aquatic Life/ CoralLife (2bulbs 24")
AFA Archaea Ultra Grow (1nos)

Feel free to add other options.
I would ideally love to use 2 T5 with LED bulbs but 24" LED bulbs for T5 are not to be found.
aravind90chan

Re: Lighting pond tank.

Post by aravind90chan »

https://www.htgsupply.com/products/agro ... l-spectrum
This is a very interesting option as well. Might be an overkill.
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

Initial cost of t5ho is good, can mix and match bulbs to change spectrum/appearance and the diffuse/bounced lighting is much > than any but the craziest of led arrays.
It's probably kind of a pain to cover 24x24 with a single bar/strip led
I personally think current USA lights are overpriced at the moment in that they're more expensive than the fluvals which have better control options/phone app. kensfish.com has 15% off fluval lights with coupon code "fluval" since like a year now...
honestly like the chinese black box you pmed me is probably way overkill for a 30g low tech tank, though those lights can be run at like 20% and should last longer that way... and you could probably more easily light the whole tank vs a single current or fluval or whatever.
The agromax would probably work, but since it doesn't seem you care too much about the appearance of the lights you could always try a pair of 24" beamsworks with s2 pros or something for ramping/schedules.
https://smile.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSPE ... B01LFF07BU
erm just search for s2-pro on ebay or aliexpress theyre like 13-15$... alternatively you can just use a timed outlet, or can use a TC421/420 fairly easily.

edit: Erm I see there is gonna be w/emersed stuff so maybe you should focus on the lights that are easy to hang?
aravind90chan

Post by aravind90chan »

Thanks a lot for the reply. I ended up finding a used 4x24" t5HO set up from craigslist. Fit my budget and I would stick with it rather than playing around with LED. There are too many options in LED and too many opinions as a result. T5HOs have stood the test of time and always work, be it for corals or plants.

Sponsors