C02 System - List of Items Needed

Lighting, filtration etc
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

C02 System - List of Items Needed

Post by FishNChips »

Hi.

I attended the GWAPA June meeting and took notes on what's needed for a complete C02 system, but missed some things. I am wondering if anyone might be kind enough to review and fix/add to the following.

.Two stage regulator (best brands?)
.Needle valve
.Bubble counter
.Timer
.C02 indicator / drop checker
.Diffuser (inline or not)
.Splitter (optional for multiple tanks)
.Tubing (polyurethane best)
.C02 tank (steel or aluminum) - larger preferable/cheaper; check fit under tank

Recommendations on brands or places to purchase items would be most appreciated. Hoping to get this system set up soon as I have topped out in terms of the number and types of plants for my 55 gallon tank.

There was also some talk of a protein skimmer for C02 tanks, but not sure if that is necessary. I don't seem to have the conditions that seemingly suggest a need for one. Thoughts and/info appreciated.

Much thanks,
FishNChips
Ben Belton

Re: C02 System - List of Items Needed

Post by Ben Belton »

A regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums would have your Two stage regulator, Needle valve, and Bubble counter and also a solenoid. They are expensive but top notch. They also have the other things on your list, but others might be able to recommend cheaper options.

I have a single stage regulator. I am not sure the double is worth the extra money, but others might have a different opinion.

www.greenleafaquariums.com/
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Well, I was looking on Green Leaf. I think mine is single stage. I'm not sure. I don't see where it says it.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

I have never used GLA regulators. I hear they are nice, higher end regulators. I would love to have one. There dual stage, not to be confused with dual gauge, regulators start at over $600. They claim that their single stage regs will not suffer from end of tank dump problems. That might be true with the high end needle valves they use but I really can't say having never used one. I personally, don't have that kind of money to spend. I use cheaper single stage regs like Milwaukee or aquatek and they do suffer from end of tank dump. My surface skimmer, not to be confused with a protein skimmer, is usually sufficient to prevent my fish from being gassed to death. That being said, I have been very busy recently, did not keep my skimmer maintained, had an ETD and lost several fish. Luckily I caught it in time and most of my fish survived. The skimmer I use needs to be cleaned at least once a week or it gets clogged.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I recently got a GLA GRO-1 CO2 Regulator. It's about $225 with solenoid. Not as inexpensive as the milwaukees, but doesn't dump. I've lost tanks full of fish in the past, and it's always my favorite fish that would fall victim. An extra $100 is worth it, not to mention the saved cost of replacing fish (and preventing loss of life).
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

Great. This is very helpful, so it seems my list was pretty comprehensive.

I had read other threads on GLA regulators and am wondering if I can afford the investment. Says it last a lifetime, but currently leaning toward recommended GLA GRO-1 CO2 Regulator.

Can someone explain the purpose of the surface skimmer and its relation to an ETD ?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Paul, the ETD dumps a significant amount of CO2 into the tank all at once, causing an unnatural imbalance of oxygen/CO2 in the water, essentially suffocating your fish. Oxygen naturally will dissolve into your water via the air, but any surface scum will impede this process by some percentage. A surface skimmer will remove the scum, and provide regular surface movement, allowing for more oxygen to be absorbed. During a CO2 dump, this exchange will help off-gas some of the CO2 into the air. It's not a 100% foolproof plan, but it does help. Also related, it's recommend to run an airstone at night when the CO2 and lights are turned off to drive more oxygen into the water, and push off any excess CO2. Having good levels of oxygen and CO2 in your tank helps drive photosynthetic process, as well as, maintain healthy colonies of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

This is a very high-level explanation. I'd recommend pulling Sean Murphy aside at the meeting, and asking him to explain the scientific details.
sukrol

Post by sukrol »

Your options are limited, CO2Art (a value oriented UK company) just shut down. Then there's Milwaukee and other cheap options or Custom.

I've never seen a custom 2 stage regulator sell below $400 so GLA it is. People are quick to complain, but I've never seen or heard anybody say anything about GLA's dumping EVER. So I would say that's the way to go. One other thing that people don't talk about enough is that a good needle valve won't need constant adjusting, this is my #1 dislike with cheap regulators.

Also with cheap regulators, there's always horror stories of things getting stuck in the open position, long story short with cheap regulators failure is more likely, not just EOTD.

Hope to see you at the meeting.
Gabriel
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

; ( just lost a tank due to a cheap needle valve that was stuck when I adjusted it and then opened up on me a few days later. Gassed the whole tank. Lost about $200.00 of shrimp and fish.
Spend the money now on a good quality system or later on replacing fish and shrimp. Trust me it will hurt less to spend money now over later.
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

By way of update, it took me months of thinking about it (including reading and re-reading all the comments here), but went with the GLA setup, getting most of what I needed from them. Um, it cost a lot of $$. Hopefully, this will be the only C02 equipment purchase I ever make. Does anyone have suggestions of where to fill my 10lb C02 tank (when it comes?). I hope to chat more with folks when I can get to a GWA meeting (and get some plants), but with kids the Sat afternoon times are a killer to make.

Sponsors