Lighting and CO2 regulator recommendations

Lighting, filtration etc
pleurothallid

Lighting and CO2 regulator recommendations

Post by pleurothallid »

Greetings,
I've got a 17.4 gallon Mr. Aqua that I'm in the process of setting up. I'm new to the C02 realm, but I was wondering if anyone had any hot tips of places to cheap, yet quality regulators. I'm also on the fence between T5 HO lighting and compact fluorescent. I've been using CF with some terrariums and liked them, but I've also used T5 HO on other shorter ones with success. I'd like to hang the light via a pendant, so weight is a bit of a concern, as is sleek/slimness. I'm leaning towards T5 HO, especially if I could find one 24" with individual reflectors, but it seems to me that something like the TEK would be too strong (and pricy).
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

If you don't mind some DIY Ebay often has dual stage regulators for $30 or so plus shipping. I got mind $42 shipped. It took a bench vise and some wrenches and elbow grease but it wasn't difficult to change it over from CGA-580 (nitrogen, argon) to CGA-320 (co2).

I like Catalina but I've recently seen posts suggesting that hydroponic places have T5 lighting much less expensive. Here's a link:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/light ... ap-t5.html

good luck

Jim
pleurothallid

Post by pleurothallid »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the tips and the link. It's amazing that these lights are evidently nearly identical to the Tek lights and just a fraction of the price. I'm still worried about them being a bit too bright for the tank and causing issues-- would you recommend a model like this: http://www.growsmarthydroponics.com/Sun ... p_893.html for the tank? I suppose I could always just pull some bulbs until the tank matures, I'd just like to preemptively avoid any major algal problems.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 17.4 Gallon Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank 24 x 12 x 14.4 Inch
http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rec ... RA-vi.html
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I can't tell from the pix if that fixture has any reflectors in it. If not that may account for the reduced pricce.

I just finished putting in a T5NO and a T5NO actinic into my Catalina T5HO fixture. I'll post results after a few days use.

I did some early testing with the lightmeter of my DSLR and my quick tests showed that the T5HO ballasts were perfectly happy driving T5NO at the correct levels. They must have some sensing circuitry as part of the spec. You might want to call growsmart and get some more info on reflectors and number of ballasts. If there are multiple ballasts you could probably turn off the bulbs individually.

I'm trying to get down from the 80+ par that I suspect I currently have to more like 40-60par without resorting to putting window screen over the fixture.

I'll let you know how it works. BTW, my Catalina has a ballast per bulb.
ingg

Post by ingg »

I'd be more worried that while aquarium fixtures have wiring considerations for over water applications, hydroponic fixtures typically do not. :wink:

TEK, for example, makes both versions - very different bulb end applications, etc., between the two.

Not saying it CAN'T work, just saying be careful.
Dave
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Another difference - TEK lights are HO and this one is NO. But with that many bulbs, who needs HO?

Sponsors