Which filter?

Lighting, filtration etc
DelawareJim

Which filter?

Post by DelawareJim »

Hi all;

I need to get a new filter for my 29 gal Endlers/shrimp tank.

I've always been an Eheim classic guy, but I have an opportunity to get a new Fluval 105 or 205 for 30 percent off.

Who has experience with these and which to choose? Or should I stick with an Eheim?

Thanks.
Cheers.
Jim
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

205 IMO, BUT change out the strainer on the intake.

I have had CPD get sucked right through the strainer (slot style, big enough that I wouldnt use it for anything but LARGE fish).

I have a 105 on a 15 and a 305? on a 50br. the 205 should do pretty well.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Filstar XP 1 or 2, but the bigger Fluval will work as well
Jeff U.

ingg

Post by ingg »

I'd stick with the Eheim, Jim.

I've read way too many accounts of way too many people having inventory of spare parts for Fluvals. While I read some of the same on Eheims, the Eheims I read about are 12 years old - the Fluvals are only a couple years old.
Dave
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm with Dave. I had a Filstar XP-3 for a while. It's a nice filter, very quiet, but it wouldn't let me go as long between cleanings without losing flow. I can go months without cleaning my Eheims. The XP-3 needed cleaning every 4-6 weeks.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I don't have any experience with the Fluval filters but I've got two Eheim 2026 Pro II filters on my 90 gallon and I like them a lot. I would stick with the Eheims too.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I've got both Eheim's and Fluvals. I like 'em both for different reasons. I agree that the Fluvals slow down sooner than Eheim, but I attribute that to the Fluval doing a better job at mechanical filtration than my Eheims. Neither needs changing more than once every 2-3 months in my house. Eheims you can pump CO2 into -- not so for Fluvals. Eheims have easier tubing to work with than my 204/304/404 Fluvals. Not sure if that's changed in the x05 series.
Spine

Post by Spine »

I have a used Ehiem 2013 with media and hoses if you are looking for something cheap.
Kevin
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

Eheim, Eheim, Eheim. When you already know which is best, why ask?

A 12 year old Eheim is still pre-adolescent - still on the original impeller because the clumsy owner has not dropped it enough times yet.

Yes, Eheims can literally go many moths to years with cleaning - but do you really think that is the best for your tank? Why do you want a dissolved nitrate generator and mulm storage container in the loop?
Where's the fish? Neptune
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

RTRJR wrote:Eheim, Eheim, Eheim. When you already know which is best, why ask?

A 12 year old Eheim is still pre-adolescent - still on the original impeller because the clumsy owner has not dropped it enough times yet.

Yes, Eheims can literally go many moths to years with cleaning - but do you really think that is the best for your tank? Why do you want a dissolved nitrate generator and mulm storage container in the loop?
My shrimp do.

I KEEP pulling shrimp out of the 2213.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants

Sponsors