CO2 Tank attachment question

Lighting, filtration etc
Jim Miller

CO2 Tank attachment question

Post by Jim Miller »

I've always had trouble with my 20lb CO2 not lasting very long...like weeks rather than months. Based on some back of the envelope calculations I once did a 20lb tank should easily last over a year on a aquarium my size.

So today when putting everything together I decided to make sure that everything was leak free. I used the blue goopy liquid from HD which makes nice bubbles when a leak is present and each of my Teflon taped joints was nice and tight with no leaks. I also tested all of the ports on the regulator and it was all good.

Then as an after thought I painted the big outlet where the big brass nut threads the stem onto the tank and it was immediately fizzy! I had cranked down on this with a big wrench when putting on the regulator. It has one of the fiber washers inside. Another major wrenching resulted in no improvement.

I loosened the nut and took off the regulator and looked at the mating surfaces of the stem and the tank and they are smooth and without burrs. I looked at the fiber washer and there were clear imprints of both mating surfaces which didn't look like a problem.

Have others seen this? How much "wrench" do you apply when attaching your regulator to the tank? Perhaps I'm scuffing the surface of the fiber washer by over tightening it?

I have a little brass insert (edit: it's called a Perma-Seal) with a built in O-Ring that I've used in the past. I put a very thin layer of silicone plumbers grease on both sides of it to lube the O-ring then threaded into the tank output and then reattached the regulator. A test with the blue goo is now bubble free.

But I'm still curious about the fiber washer approach and others' results.

Anyone?

Jim
GOT MTS?

Re: CO2 Tank attachment question

Post by GOT MTS? »

Sorry I use a plastic washer that came with my aquatek reg. I tighten until my reg wants to spin with the nut and then give a quarter turn.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

I don't use the fiber washers. I use a permaseal or a plastic washer.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I think I have a spare in the basement that I'm going to look for some fresh o-rings at the hardware store.

Just in case....

Fiber washers are now in the trash!

Jim
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Found 3 spares in the basement!

Woo hoo!!
Nikhilsk99

Post by Nikhilsk99 »

My 5lb lasts for 6 months with 5 bubbles per second for my 40 breeder. I change my nylon washer every time I have new co2 refill.
http://www.sodaparts.com/products/soda- ... washers-10
sns26

Post by sns26 »

Jim, did you use a new fiber washer every time you opened up and then re-attached the nut to the tank? They are single-use devices.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Always replaced them. The permaseal is working great. I also put a tiny smear of plumber's silicone on the rubber surface.

jim

Sponsors