suggestions for a Congo biotope...

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
keeperofthefish

suggestions for a Congo biotope...

Post by keeperofthefish »

I got an elephant nose (Gnathonemus petersi) and now I have developed a real interest in Congo basin fish. I thought I was a pure Amazon person, but I guess I'm changing my tune. One of the things I like about the Congo basin fish is that they live in water with a GH (6-10) and KH (4) exactly within the parameters of my tap water, whereas I would have to buy an R/O filter if I wanted to get serious with Amazon species.

That said, I am thinking of setting up a Congo basin biotope with my 30 long, all based around the elephant nose, who I have become very attached to.

Has anyone else set up a Congo biotope? I think my switchover in terms of plants will be gradual, and I have read a few articles that suggest what I will really want to do is set this up like a river tank, with a strong current. That is frankly unappealing to me.

So for now, I am thinking about a big school of congo tetras (at least 8) along with the elephant nose. I have six panda corys in there now, but they will probably come out. Any suggestions for Congo basin catfish to replace them? None of the species names I have read are familiar to me. The elephant nose does a good job of rifling around, but I cannot leave it to him to keep the place tidy.

And what about the idea of adding a pair of Pelvicachromis of some type? Any suggestions there?

Sponsors