Shy CPDs

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Becca
GWAPA Member

Shy CPDs

Post by Becca »

Wobblebonk wrote:
Not on my wishlist but I may have cpds breeding in 3 tanks at once and will have to delay my plans to do a big tank with 150-200 of them...
Meanwhile mine are hopeless. They make 0 appearances unless it's feeding time and 0 babies.
Wobblebonk

Re: April Group Buy with Aquatic Arts

Post by Wobblebonk »

Well my adults that are fully colored up are just as you describe (minus the not breeding...). Even 40 juvies out in the open in a 20g seemingly does nothing to encourage them to stop hiding. So I suspect if I put 150 adults in an 80g they will still hide all the time heh.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Wobblebonk wrote:Well my adults that are fully colored up are just as you describe (minus the not breeding...). Even 40 juvies out in the open in a 20g seemingly does nothing to encourage them to stop hiding. So I suspect if I put 150 adults in an 80g they will still hide all the time heh.
I wondered about that.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

My CPDs aren't so shy, I think because they are in a tank with other little fish that are not shy.
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

We're kind of derailing this thread, but needing a dither fish for what was supposed to be dither fish for me originally is :(
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Cristy Keister wrote:My CPDs aren't so shy, I think because they are in a tank with other little fish that are not shy.
Well, yes, I saw them more when I had them with my choprae, but then neither managed to have fry survive.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Wobblebonk wrote:We're kind of derailing this thread, but needing a dither fish for what was supposed to be dither fish for me originally is :(
Amen. Looks like someone put it on a new set of tracks.

Honestly, you might be happier with a school of 150 Choprae. If you want a trio to try spawning them, I can give you some. They are pretty active on their own, but I've found that adding a few chela/orange hatchet danios to the mix gets them swimming all over taller tanks, not just in the bottom 3rd.
Wobblebonk

Re: Shy CPDs

Post by Wobblebonk »

I could give it a try sure, but at this point in my breeding cpds strategy all I do is feed and do water changes. Not entirely sure how many babies they've made in the 2 other tanks I set up, I see some new babies but there's so much floating pearlweed that I can't be sure how many are in there until they grow up a bit.
I used to do musical chairs with them in 10g tanks but this has been working out for me so far and very low effort on my part. Though the original lazy tank that has seemingly been very succesful is absolutely hideous, unless you love the look of clado EVERYWHERE. The other 2 are much cleaner looking but still not scaped or anything, just a blob of moss the parents all hide under and a floating mass of pearl weed.
Since the last water change the giant blob of moss/clado has floated a bit and now I can see the adults most of the time but who knows if that means they will breed less or what.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: Shy CPDs

Post by Becca »

My choprae strategy is just lots of moss and decent food.

Sponsors