Question about Frozen Foods

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
swmnwdafishes

Question about Frozen Foods

Post by swmnwdafishes »

So I bought some SFB frozen beefheart and Cichlid Delight a while back. I tried to feed my new world cichlids some defrosted beefheart and it just turned to mush and made a mess in the water. I'm afraid to open the Cichlid Delight and have the same problem. Stuff like frozen bloodworms isn't a problem. But the beefheart is just ground offal.

So how are you supposed to feed frozen foods like that to fish? I really wish there were directions on the back.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Please do not tap on glass. It scares the plants.
halak

Re: Question about Frozen Foods

Post by halak »

Try to thaw it, rinse it, and feed it that way.
Viktor
JLW

Re: Question about Frozen Foods

Post by JLW »

I don't like the idea of feeding frozen foods frozen -- they should be thawed, IMO. Fish are cold blooded, and having a chunk of frozen material inside of you can't possibly be good when you can't generate heat. I strongly think they should be thawed a bit first.

If a food is breaking up, or is just frozen liquid, the fish aren't able to get much nutrition out of it. The best suggestion I can offer is to change to another brand.

Some foods, the directions state to throw it in frozen -- a lot of Omega One foods are this way (though they hold together when lightly thawed).
><>

Sponsors