Planaria???

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
150EH

Re: Planaria???

Post by 150EH »

Those are some nice trap options but I'm not sure whats in the tank, again. I took these before the weekend and I haven't had a chance to take a good look at the tank since we've returned from Delaware but it does appear to be less movement in the water, I think. Let me know what you think of these photos, the quality is poor but they are cropped tight so you can see the shape of the critters, one looks like a Hydra and the other kinda like a planaria, and there are still a ton of darting specs.

ImageImage
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Yes, it looks like you have seed shrimp, hydra and planaria. :(
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

It's been some time but I definately have seed shrimp only, if there were other creatures in this tank they have all died off, now I just need to get rid of the seed shrimp. It seems like there population grow with my feeding habits as the tank gets more shrimp I have increase the amount of food to encourage breeding and the seed shrimp are breeding well. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them, like using Excel to kill them without killing my Cherry Shrimp?
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:It's been some time but I definately have seed shrimp only, if there were other creatures in this tank they have all died off, now I just need to get rid of the seed shrimp. It seems like there population grow with my feeding habits as the tank gets more shrimp I have increase the amount of food to encourage breeding and the seed shrimp are breeding well. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them, like using Excel to kill them without killing my Cherry Shrimp?
Lucky me, I have BOTH planaria and seed shrimp. I use a catch pin trap to trap the planaria and that works pretty well. It is suppose to capture seed shrimp too, but it doesn't (at least not in my tanks). I keep the seed shrimp in control with water changes. They don't bother anything, but I just don't like the looks of them.
Julie
adin

Post by adin »

Ostracods!
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Yeah, I just don't like the little critters swimming around in my tank, it looks dirty?

Can you elaborate on a "catch pin trap"
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:Yeah, I just don't like the little critters swimming around in my tank, it looks dirty?

Can you elaborate on a "catch pin trap"
Well apparently, seed shrimp (ostracods) only like very clean water, but I agree they make the tank seem infected. On a positive note, the tank that was overrun with all the little snails, now is practically snail-less.

I bought a Gush Catch Pen. Here is a utube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4HExaxiRVU
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I'm going to try and make one and if I fail I'll buy one, I bet they are hard to find.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:I'm going to try and make one and if I fail I'll buy one, I bet they are hard to find.
Yes, I bought mine from someone in the UK and it was expensive. Google seed shrimp traps or planaria traps and you can see how to poke holes in an inverted cup with a lid on it. Same concept. The critters enter from the substrate and since the shrimp can't enter from the substrate they stay out.
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I did find one in the US for $39.99 plus shipping, so $50 for this little thing.

I'm buying my glass blowing kit tomorrow!
Sincerely,
Tim

Sponsors