Planaria???

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
150EH

Re: Planaria???

Post by 150EH »

I did take your advise Jim, I moved the unit up just a hair of off the substrate but not enough that the shrimp would be able to get under it. It was in the tank since last Friday and I removed it today before the normal feeding only to find a pure white pile of seed shrimp gathered on the substrate just below the entry tube, I quickly grabbed a section of air line tubing and siphoned them out of the tank, plus there looked to be quite a few in the trap as well so their numbers have decreased dramatically. I think it was good that I removed it today as some of the food had started to float and may have been getting rancid but overall the trap worked great and I will continue to use it as needed.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:I did take your advise Jim, I moved the unit up just a hair of off the substrate but not enough that the shrimp would be able to get under it. It was in the tank since last Friday and I removed it today before the normal feeding only to find a pure white pile of seed shrimp gathered on the substrate just below the entry tube, I quickly grabbed a section of air line tubing and siphoned them out of the tank, plus there looked to be quite a few in the trap as well so their numbers have decreased dramatically. I think it was good that I removed it today as some of the food had started to float and may have been getting rancid but overall the trap worked great and I will continue to use it as needed.
I only let my trap set for a day and then I pull it. The water smells awful by that time and it is certainly turning rancid.

Glad to hear you caught so many of the little buggers. :)
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Really, what food did you use in the trap?

I used Red Bee, Barley, & Fry feed and the trap was very slimy to the touch but I didn't notice any smell.

I don't think I used any foods like Repeashy that you have to handle like regular food with refrigeration, etc.
Last edited by 150EH on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

150EH wrote:Really, what food did you use in the trap?

I used Red Bee, Barley, & Fry feed ant the trap was very slimey to the touch but I didn't notice any smell.
I have used various shrimp pellets. It only smelled when I dumped it -- it didn't seem to leak out into the aquarium, the water inside the trap became cloudy. Most of the planaria inside were dead. Super yucky. I always hold my breath when emptying it.
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

I bet that's why it smelled, dead planaria. My trap also holds the water without leaking and the lack of circulation/oxygen etc. did seem to kill the seed shrimp but I think they are just too small to put off any odor but I will keep that in mind as anything larger might release release toxins.

Oddly enough my trap didn't catch any snails, even with air line tubing as the funnel I thought I might catch some baby snails looking for a free meal.
Sincerely,
Tim
jweis

Post by jweis »

I think I'm getting the Planaria becuase I haven't been using a feeding dish. I need to find a small glass dish. I bought the hanging pods for that purpose, but when they arrived, I noticed they have holes in the bottom, and they seemed to be too deep for the little shrimp.
Julie

Sponsors