Shrimp suggestions

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
jweis

Shrimp suggestions

Post by jweis »

As you may have read on other threads I started I am setting up some shrimp tanks. I am looking for suggestions as to which type of shrimp. My requirements are that the shrimp must be able to breed in captiviity and they need to be pretty/colorful.

I already have RCS and CRS so they are out. I also have some OEBTs that I think I will try to capture out of my 37g and isolate them in a smaller shrimp-only tank.

I really like the looks of the blue pearl shrimp and I found someone who sells them out of Central VA.

Viktor suggested Green Rocket shrimp from Rachel. Any other ideas? Hopefully I'll be bringing the offspring to the GWAPA auctions.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
halak

Post by halak »

Rachel also has green babaultis that breed in freshwater. She sometimes has other babaulti color variants.
Viktor
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

What about snowball shrimp?
jweis

Post by jweis »

halak wrote:Rachel also has green babaultis that breed in freshwater. She sometimes has other babaulti color variants.
I'll ping her about them. She offered some to me before but I didn't have space for them.
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

Has anyone seen Sri Lanka Dwarf Shrimp in person. Below is a picture and the link has some info. http://www.petshrimp.com/Csimoni.php

EDIT: Never mind, I answered my own question. I sent an email to the guy that posed the picture and apparently all the colonies of this shrimp in the U.S. have died out. Bummer!
Attachments
srilankadwarffemaleeggs.jpg
srilankadwarffemaleeggs.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Julie do you know what type of shrimp "that pet place" might have on hand? It might be worth a call other than that I would say keep watching the SnS at TPT, good luck.

Julie I found this site: http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/categor ... 26-Snails/
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/ and here near the bottom of the page http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/inde ... &Itemid=66
Sincerely,
Tim
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

I happened to revisit this thread, and I swear that some of my shrimp look a lot like this, though they were bought as ghost shrimp. Some of them have the same color pattern and it makes me go hmmm...

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
jweis

Post by jweis »

scientist0724 wrote:I happened to revisit this thread, and I swear that some of my shrimp look a lot like this, though they were bought as ghost shrimp. Some of them have the same color pattern and it makes me go hmmm...

Arlene
I'm convinced most stores don't know what they have shrimp-wise. I asked one employee for Amano shrimp and they said they didn't have those, but they had algae eating shrimp. Sure enough, they were Amanos.
Julie
150EH

Post by 150EH »

You mean the blue ones that look like lobster? Just kidding.

I asked for the heat resistant silicone rubber bands that hold PC bulbs in the clips and the guy told me those are just used for shipping and I could go ahead and throw them out after the fixture had been installed on the tank. I thought for just a second and said yeah they probably make them out of heat resistant silicone in case the lights accidently come on in the box, duh.

It's not just shrimp Julie, they can be clueless about anything. :shock: :shock:
Sincerely,
Tim
msjinkzd

Post by msjinkzd »

i have bumble bees adn tigers in stock now too, if you are looking to branch out :)

Sponsors