Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

What if I speak sharply to them?

Jim :twisted:
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

M. praecox will enter shrimp, but if you have a heavily planted tank, and give the cherries a head start, they'll breed faster than the fish can devour them. In my experience, they leave the larger Amano shrimp alone. (In my 75G, the Amano's even graze with large Angelfish around -- maybe I just have sissy fish)
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

"enter"?

The tank is a dense jungle at both ends right down to the substrate. The middle will be a bit thinner.

Amanos probably smack the angels around. They're definitely bad boys!

I think I might keep the 10g working as a shrimp breeder which I can use to repopulate the 90g if necessary.

Thanks

Jim
fjf888

Post by fjf888 »

Jim Miller wrote:
I'm leaning toward a few dwarf cichlids. How about the blue rams? They apparently like soft acidic 75ish temp water.

Jim
More like 85ish. Blue Rams like really warm water.
Fred
fjf888

Post by fjf888 »

Jim Miller wrote:Anyone have experience with Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish and RCS?

Jim
I have never kept them together in the same tank, but have both. The dwarf neon rainbow fish get up to 2.5 to 3 inches. They have a pretty small mouth, so you may have a chance with adult cherry shrimp.
Fred
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I've decided to gather as many of my fish as I can and bring them for September auction.

I'm going to start my RCS this week and add Amanos and some loaches from the group buy.

Once the shrimp have overrun the tank and I catch any remaining fish I'll start to add a couple dozen hemigrammus bleheri.

I make a decision on anything else to add later. I'm definitely leaning toward 3m/3f Melanotaenia praecox.

I'll also add to my c.habrosus another 6.

With the rummies schooling, the habrosus and loaches working the bottom, shrimp everywhere and perhaps the rainbowfish, it should be busy place without being overloaded.

Thanks to all for the input!

Jim (n00b)
ingg

Post by ingg »

Better off 2/4 m/f, they are harem and not pairing behaviors.
Dave
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Dave

Thanks!

Jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

You might want to bump that up to 3m/6f,or better yet, 4m/6-7f. When the males colour up to breed they really pop and only 2 won't do them justice, and they'll probably wear themselves out displaying and trying to dominate each other.

I had a dozen I got from Robert Ricketts in my 110 and they really put on a show!

Cheers.
Jim
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I'm worried that with that many quite active fish there might be over crowding in my 90g with a school of rummies.

Any thoughts on that?

Jim

Sponsors