New critters?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
halak

Post by halak »

Our house sitter simply overfed even though I had a sticky note on top of the shrimp tanks stating how much to feed. This was the first time this happened in 10 years of having summer house sitters (a different one almost every year).
Viktor
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I had no idea you could kill shrimp by overfeeding. What kind of shrimp and food was involved? Was it a shrimp only tank?

Jim
halak

Post by halak »

The whole tank was overfed,; therefore, there was a lot of leftover food that was decomposing. Yes, it was (and is again) a shrimp only tank. Even most of the plants rotted; the crypts are nicely coming back though. I had green babaultis and babaulti 'stripes.' Another tank that got wiped was full of cherries.

I have a 40+ gallon tank in Hungary that has only gravel and driftwood in it and nobody has taken care of it for two years (except filling up the evaporated water). There is no filter or heater in it. But there are at least 10 cherry shrimp still alive. So, my conclusion is (and Rachel said the same thing) is that it's okay not to feed shrimp if their numbers are not very high and you are not trying to breed them. That's what I am going to do next summer.
Viktor
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Jim,

Saw this ad on CL with some rainbows for sale and thought of you:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 83048.html

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Hi Arlene

I think I'm going to restrain myself for a bit. I just added 50 cherries, 24 amanos, 12 tiger loaches and 30 espei rasboras. I need to get rid of some fish to figure out where to go next.

Thanks!

jim

Sponsors