Algae eating Tadpoles/Stiphodon

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
kerokero

Algae eating Tadpoles/Stiphodon

Post by kerokero »

Due to inadvertent success this year with a breeding project, I'm in the lurch on food with some hillstream tadpoles that feed like tiny little Stiphodons. Diatom algae are the primary food recommended for the genus (they will also take green dust and green spot, others may be too tough for them to handle since they are so tiny) but since this clutch of eggs surprisingly had some fertile eggs develop I'm now in "desperate to find them food" mode. Algae culturing is slow, and these little guys will be hatching in a few days (normal protocol would have us start culturing before these guys went into breeding season - but these guys were just imported and a bit of a surprise).

What other foods could I try? Typically for these tads it's been live cultured diatom covered objects, or rocks/slides/petri dishes with sera micron made into a paste, put on in a thin layer and left to dry. The sera micron way tends to really put water quality at risk (and these things need perfect water quality!) and they don't always take to it right away.

Sometimes algae sheets like used for sushi are recommended? What is worth trying?
Best, Corey
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

shredded peas would be my recommendation, use a turkey baster to push the food out at the substrate so it doesnt completely cloud the water
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-

Sponsors