Algae

Plant ID help, discussion, etc.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Algae

Post by ddavila06 »

so, out of nowhere, I have slowly but steadily started to get more and more algae in my 75.
tank specs: flourite dark substrate, root tabs, catalina T5HO -3 54W bulbs (old by now im sure). I don't really fertilize, occasional seachem stuff i may have available. lights on timer and come on and off for a burst at noon and about 9 hours total. not heavily stocked in fish. Water changes every 2-4 weeks, usually about 50%.

about this algae,
it is similar to black bear, but shiny green and covers swords leaves in full, makes like a carpet..also grows on wood, rocks, glass, etc..

can post pics at some point..thanks :)
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Algae

Post by krisw »

I think you've answered a lot of your own questions. ;-) Old bulbs, no dosing, and minimal water changes can all lead to these issues. One other question, when did you last clean your filter? Do you vacuum the mulm/detritus? Sounds like it may just be a big build up of organics (dirty filter/tank) plus those other items...
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

I agree with Kris100%. Also depending on when you set it up it may be necessary to start over if you really want to get rid of all algae. Just my opinion.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

my concern is that i had this method of running the tank for like the past 4 years or so and never had any issues (moved,reset, etc etc.) i vaccum the substrate some, not a lot.. idk when the last time i cleaned the filter was, maybe 4 months ago..no carbon and no other chemicals either..
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Four months is way too long. See if that helps...

Sponsors