Rotala macranda and walichi turning green

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
nicoylucca

Rotala macranda and walichi turning green

Post by nicoylucca »

I don’t really know what to do to keep them red.
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Rotala macranda and walichi turning green

Post by krisw »

Hey Jose -- what lights do you have, what size tank, and what fertilizers are you using?
nicoylucca

Post by nicoylucca »

hi Kris, thanks for your interest, i have a 29 gallons (tall 20") with a Finnex 24/7 cc, and a extra led light which i dont know the brand or specs, CO2 about 2-3 bps, keeping my drop check green,so i guess is close to 30ppm, and im dosing dry fertilizer, GLA pps-pro 5ml macro and 6 drops micro for about 2 months already, i didn't measure levels of nutrients because i don't know how to do it and i dont have test kit.
is the first time im dosing dry fertilizer, so im not sure ifim doing something wrong
thank you
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Jose, just to be clear, you're mixing liquid ferts using the dry fertlizers, right? Normally, when you say your dosing dry ferts, that means you're not mixing, and just adding the dry chemicals directly to the tank. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

If you're mixing, can you please the exact concentration (or the formula) you're using to mix the solution?

Also, are the plants always green, or do they get red as they grow closer to the light?
nicoylucca

Post by nicoylucca »

You right Kris is a mix of dry fertilizer, this is the amount they recommend on their website, two 500 ml bottles.
Pour into bottle #1 macros, 29 grams of K2SO4, 33 grams of KNO3, 3 grams of KH2PO4 and 20 grams of MgSO4.
Pour into bottle #2 micros, (TE)fe
About the redness only the tip of the plant are red, and as long the plant grows this red leaves turn pale red then green
nicoylucca

Post by nicoylucca »

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Jose, are your 24/7's turned up all the way? If not, what lighting settings are you using? Sorry for so many questions, but there are lots of variables.

One thing I notice is that you're dosing about twice as much of the macro solution as their baseline recommendation, and about half of the micro solution as recommended. Is there a reason for these deviations? I would think that if you're doubling to keep up with plant growth, that you'd double both...
nicoylucca

Post by nicoylucca »

You are right I’m trying to bump some growth, I will adjust my dosing at what they recommend.
The light both are at max, in a photoperiod of 8 hours, I’m not using 24/7 feature from the light, just a timer for both.
Thank you again for your time
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Yes, see if the added micros help with the color at all. If not, after a couple weeks, report back, and we can troubleshoot further.
nicoylucca

Post by nicoylucca »

Thank you Kris, I will do it !!

Sponsors