Coarse gravel over aquasoil?

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
sns26

Coarse gravel over aquasoil?

Post by sns26 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a riparium in my 57gal, and I'm scratching my head about how to get the substrate look I want while having some aquasoil in there as a planting medium too.

My goal is to have something that looks like a light-colored pebble-y river bottom that shades from some coarser stones to pebbles and then to plain sand. But underneath I'd like to hide some aquasoil for chain swords or crypts to grab. Has anyone succeeded in doing that? Or has anyone found light-colored aquasoil? :-)

I know that plain sand won't stay on top of aquasoil without help...
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: Coarse gravel over aquasoil?

Post by Becca »

My 33 long has aquasoil under flourite. You put the AquaSoil in the middle, damp/wet enough that it'll hold some shape then pour the flourite around it, then over it (leave 2" margins around the edges. I haven't really had issues with it shifting around.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

I'm not real familiar with flourite. I thought it was pretty similar to Aquasoil in appearance--am I wrong about that?
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Flourite is little chips of clay, where aquasoil looks like little balls of dirt. Very different look.

Sponsors