Large Sword

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Tim_Koles

Large Sword

Post by Tim_Koles »

So I got a sword from the meeting a few months back. Not sure what type as it was unmarked. Looks kinda like a Melon sword. Long narrow stems with a large leaf at the top. It is growing really well and producing babies. The problem is its to tall. I have it in a 90 gallon tank so it has over twenty inches to grow in but that's apparently not enough. The leaves get pressed against the top glass and they actually snap although it seems to still keep them fine. This is not really the look I'm going for. Any suggestions out there to keep this guy under control. My only thought would be to start cutting some of the leaves back and try to cycle through the new leaves coming up to, keeping the ones that have not reached the surface yet. Problem with that is the new leaves really only open when they hit the surface. Any thoughts appreciated.

Tim
GOT MTS?

Re: Large Sword

Post by GOT MTS? »

Okay here is what I recommend,

Step1 pull the entire plant out of the tank
Step2 throw entire plant into the trash
Step3 get new plants

Hahaha haha

Seriously though it is probably going to be difficult to keep smaller. Frequent and large trimmings coupled with higher light might work.
halak

Post by halak »

Instead of throwing it away, you could sell it to a cichlid guy for good money.
Viktor
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Thanks I'll keep these suggestions in mind
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

A pleco may eat it
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Hey, some of us like sword plants... Not that we currently find ourselves in need of any...
JLW

Post by JLW »

Actually, if you're really interested in rehoming it, I am setting up a 300-gallon planted this week.
><>
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Thanks but I don't relish tearing it out of the tank at the moment. I do have some babies though I could sell you.

Sponsors