Floating Plant Options - Advice & Suggestions

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Tyger

Floating Plant Options - Advice & Suggestions

Post by Tyger »

When I was planning my current aquarium, I had not really considered the use of floating plants; however, I discovered a couple of Duckweed, Lemna minor, had hitched a ride on plants from the LPS. I did a little research to figure out what the little plant was and did a little reading regarding floating plants and some of the benefits.

Afterwards, I decided to let the Lemna minor grow and cover a good portion of the water surface (65%). In doing so, I have come to have an appreciation the benefits of floating plants (water-related as well as the moving cloud-like shade provided the aquarium's lower reaches and the comfort the covered surface provides the celestial dianos and the white clouds who now swim near the surface more often and the pearl gourami who now explores the aquarium much more than in the past).

Unfortunately, I have found the size of the Lemna minor to be a major drawback as it makes working on the tank a hassle (it tends to stick to everything). In addition, when the night filters turn-on initially, a little duckweed is pushed below the surface and is caught the cambomba and, to me, looks less attractive.

Consequently, I am going to removed the Lemna minor and planning to replace it with a larger species. In this regard, I was looking for some advice with regard to choice of plant. Preferably, I would like a floating plant species that is larger and grows slower than Lemna minor which, ideally, would not have an overly long (or massive root system).

Based on what I have read, I am thinking about Phyllanthus fluitans (Red Root Floater), given the comment section. Salvinia natans seems to be a fairly good choice. I had thought Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) seemed like a good option until I saw a root system picture (pic). In this regard, I was also wondering whether one can prune the root systems?

I am really open to any suggestion about these plants or other choices. Ideally, I would like a plant that is large enough to move out of the way (or remove) and will not stick to everything during tank work and has a managable root system. Thanks, in advance, for taking a moment,

~Tyger~

PS: I would also be interested in knowing where to purchase floating plants as well (including folks here). Thanks ~T~

ADDENDUM: I should have included tank description (65-Gallon : 36Lx18Dx24T : Catalina Aquarium Light [T5-HO :39 watts] (Custom Made): 6700k (x2); 10000k (x2); 15-LED Moonlights [2 Lights On Max : 6700k/1000k 5-hrs : No Lights 4-hrs : 6700k/1000k 5-hrs : Moonlights 10-hrs]; Marineland C-360 w/Custom-Flo : Sprayer Bar [Light Spray] & Ball-Socket-Y-2 Flares [24-7] : Airstones [UG Lift Tubes] [Off Sequence w/Lighting]. In this set-up, Lemna minor is not dunked under the water when the UGF is off or is running as current pattern keeps that from happening; however, UGF start-up changes the current and pushes plants out into spray for about 5-seconds until the alternate current pattern is reestablished. When dunked, Lemna minor floats back to the surface and syncs with current (or gets caught in cabomba or ludwiga).

ADDENDUM: Hygroryza aristata, Brazilian pennywort, and Hornwort are some of the suggestions from other folks.
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Sorry, dude, thatyou got infected with the insidious virus that is duckweed. I hate it with a passion. The other floating plants you mention are more easily controllable, and I would also suggest water sprite or perhaps lilies.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You should PM Damian (ddavila06).

He has red-root floater, Salvinia natans, and a large red version of duck weed.

Good luck!
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

Chris wrote:You should PM Damian (ddavila06).

He has red-root floater, Salvinia natans, and a large red version of duck weed.

Good luck!
Hey Chris :roll:, need more floaters?

i am coming to tomorrows meeting and bringing an assortment just for you guy :D i have red roots, Giant duckweed (found it to look better than regular duckweed because is larger and easier to manage), water sprite (gets rether large very quickly! especially the roots that go down like a foot or more), salvinia cucullata (new plant im trying out, really nice so far but i too suffered an infection of reg. duckweed on that tank recently and so these plants have it on them...)

i keep floating plants in all my tanks because it shades some plants out and the fish like it..i see fry on the water sprite all the time...
Attachments
salvinia cucullata
salvinia cucullata
salvinia cucullata.JPG (102.1 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
red roots with flowers
red roots with flowers
Red Root Floater and Flower.JPG (81.38 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
giant duckweed
giant duckweed
giant duckweed.JPG (89.68 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
a lot of red roots covering about 3/4 of my 125
a lot of red roots covering about 3/4 of my 125
red root floaters.JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
Tyger

Post by Tyger »

Damian,

I look forward to seeing what you have and making a purchase. I am curious here how you are coping with the investation of regular duckweed. I rue the day!

~Tyger~
~Tyger (Michael)~
Annapolis, MD
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I have always like water sprite as an easy growing floater. It is big so it is easy to prune. I also have other plants like bacopa and cabomba furcata floating which flower regularly. The big thing is to prune before they shade the rest of the tank.

One of the benefits of leaves above the water line is that the plants can extract CO2 from the air much easier than water. So many of the plants we keep would prefer only wet feet.

Sponsors