Algae fun!

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

OK. Neat stuff. I have this algae. Had it for awhile I think. I'm dosing 25% doses of Exel. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

OK, within a few days I could tell a significant difference. Then Saturday I did a big water change and manually removed some of the large masses of it. Today all that is left is some remaining large masses. I think manually removing the big stuff is important, because the water flow is not good into them and into areas where they are. Therefore, the Excel can't work as good. I’ve been dosing every other day and at water changes. I think if I get the rest of the big clods out and dose a few more days, it will be completely gone. I'll probably keep dosing at 25% for awhile though.
jerseyjay

Post by jerseyjay »

Ghazanfar ... I wish I saw your thread the day you posted it. I would have told you what it was right off the bet .... why ? ... because I had it back in my custom tank.

We both talked about it but I guess you forgot :) Tom Barr and Sean Murphy were part of that discussion as well.

I solved it a "natural" way :)

Check it out --> http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... -type.html
Image Image
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Jay - I remember that thread. You were able to get rid of it by:
What I did in order:
- minimal manual treatment (obvious effect)
- 50% water change with SAME nutrients routine (minimal effect)
- 2 day blackout (better than above but still present)
- continued same weekly fertilization with 50% water change weekly (algae coming back which means BlackOut helped !)
- decided to try fish - 3 Rosy Barbs (75G tank)
- First 3 days NO results
- 4th day - 75% algae was GONE !
- 6th day - 99% algae was GONE !
- Throughout this process I did NOT feed the fish
That approach didn't work. Even after a 3 day blackout, the damned thing was still there. The small Excel dose approach seems to work quite effectively. Hope Ben can get rid of his infestation and repeat my results. There are a number of people in GWAPA with it now - hope they can try and succeed at getting rid of it.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Hungry rosy barbs, huh? Hmmm, I might have to try that if the 25% Excel doesn't work.

I've noticed this stuff popping up in my 75g, and as has been reported in that thread by Jay on APC, SAEs don't seem to touch the stuff. And in my nano (where it showed up first) the blackout didn't work for me, either.

Ghazanfar, I don't remember whether you did daily 25% Excel dosing, or was it weekly?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

I actually did this:

Manual removal of algae
90% water change
Add ferts back in - 10 ppm NO3 + 2 ppm PO4
Excel dose at 100% of recommended dosage. However, I think a 50% dose will work just as well if not better.

Then
25% of recommended dosage 2 x per week.

50% water change at the end of the week and repeat above steps.

The algae was gone the first week. No visible trace. I just kept it up for another week to ensure that it really was gone.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

This was a informative and fun thread. Thanks everyone.
John G

Post by John G »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:I actually did this:

...90% water change...Excel dose at 100% of recommended dosage...

Then
25% of recommended dosage 2 x per week....
Excel recomends "on the ititial use or after a major water change...5 mL for every 40L...Thereafter5 mL for every 200L..."

So after the 90% change you did 5 mL per 40L of water, and thereafter 1.25mL per 200L? Or have I misunderstood?
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

John G wrote:
Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:I actually did this:

...90% water change...Excel dose at 100% of recommended dosage...

Then
25% of recommended dosage 2 x per week....
Excel recomends "on the ititial use or after a major water change...5 mL for every 40L...Thereafter5 mL for every 200L..."

So after the 90% change you did 5 mL per 40L of water, and thereafter 1.25mL per 200L? Or have I misunderstood?
yep - inital is 5ml per ~10G
The recurring dose was probably about 2.5ml - half a capful - I kinda eyeballed it.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

John G

Post by John G »

Have any of the rest of you gotten rid of this stuff using Ghazanfar's procedures? I have what I believe is the same stuff in two of my aquariums, and so far I haven't had any luck with the Excell/water changes/etc.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA

Sponsors