Aquarium plant seeds?

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Sonny Disposition

Aquarium plant seeds?

Post by Sonny Disposition »

Have any of you ever tried to grow aquatic plants from seeds, and, if so, would you know of an on-line supplier? (It seems like it would be a fun thing to try.)
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
JLW

Re: Aquarium plant seeds?

Post by JLW »

I don't really think of any of our aquarium plants as producing from seed; obviously, they do, but generation of seed for /most/ aquarium plants is pretty darned rare.
><>
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

A lot of the online "aquarium plant" seeds are chia seeds. They will sprout under water, look nice for a little bit then die. Don't be fooled.
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

I have temperate lotus that bloom and form seeds. I can give you seed pods this fall if you want to try. I guess something else you can try is bringing some of your aquatic plants outdoors in the summer and see if they flower and get pollinated; e.g. Nymphoides taiwan.
Sonny Disposition

Post by Sonny Disposition »

Thanks, Linus_Cello. That would be a fun project. I wonder how the commercial growers propagate their stuff? Exclusively from cuttings and tissue explants? I would think that eventually would lead to enhanced disease susceptibility. Without periodic genetic recombination, your stock can't continue to evolve to escape pathogens.
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
Nikhilsk99

Post by Nikhilsk99 »

I was looking on ebay and I see they are selling seeds for Glossostigma Elatinoides Hemianthus Callitrichoides. It comes from china. I understand we cannot gets seeds from china but those guys are shipping it in USA. Has anyone tried that ?
JLW

Post by JLW »

You can get seeds shipped from China.
You can't get CAUGHT getting seeds shipped from China. :p If they notice what's in the package, it gets confiscated and destroyed. A lot of seed sellers overseas still ship to the US, and just accept that about 25-50% of their stuff won't make it. I discovered this when I purchased seeds on Amazon without being aware that it they came from overseas. Most of the packets made it, and when I inquired as to why one didn't, I was told, "They were seized at the border." Now I know... :)
><>
swmnwdafishes

Post by swmnwdafishes »

JLW wrote:You can get seeds shipped from China.
You can't get CAUGHT getting seeds shipped from China. :p If they notice what's in the package, it gets confiscated and destroyed. A lot of seed sellers overseas still ship to the US, and just accept that about 25-50% of their stuff won't make it. I discovered this when I purchased seeds on Amazon without being aware that it they came from overseas. Most of the packets made it, and when I inquired as to why one didn't, I was told, "They were seized at the border." Now I know... :)
It's free to get a plant importing permit, you just apply. And it's good for 3 years. You can import small lots of seeds without a phytosanitary certificate no problem. I've ordered countless amounts of seeds from abroad. You just have them shipped to the inspection station in Jersey with a list of species included and a forwarding label to you. The biggest problem is trying to get the vendors to comply with your special shipping requests. I've recently thought about trying to import some Buces from China from this vendor I found with allegedly over 250 varieties at $2-4 a plant.

Or you could just have your $0.75 worth of Glossostigma seeds sent to your house and assume the liability of it getting "lost in the mail". Typically the customs declaration label lies and says "Beads". I would say about 90% makes it successfully. And for those that don't arrive within 6-8 weeks, usually they'll send another that does make it.
20170211_222255.jpg
20170211_222255.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
20170211_222211.jpg
20170211_222211.jpg (92.69 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
20170211_222138.jpg
20170211_222138.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Please do not tap on glass. It scares the plants.

Sponsors