Hardscape Analysis

Insert something witty here...
krisw
Site Admin

Hardscape Analysis

Post by krisw »

Here's a great analysis of a Senske hardscape on ScapeFu:

http://www.scapefu.com/2012/03/08/analy ... hardscape/

It really drives home the golden ratio, triangles, negative space, etc aspects...
DonkeyFish

Re: Hardscape Analysis

Post by DonkeyFish »

Awesome breakdown. Nice find Kris!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
John G

Post by John G »

I’ll open myself up for ridicule and scorn by being completely honest here: This is a silly article. Early on he says “What?? An aquarium without live plants? I was a bit taken a back but he certainly did make sense.” Of course you can have an aquarium without plants, but to write about and praise those in an aquascaping blog seems a bit backwards to me.
Then in the 4th paragraph he has this remarkable statement: “I am a firm believer that any good aquascape has good bones, i.e., hardscape. The hardscape shapes and supports the aquascape just like a good bass rythem gives the perfect foundation for the rest of the instruments.” Any good aquascape has to have a hardscape? Has he never looked at the first Amano book? A number of aquariums in it have little or no visible hardscape. None of them are any good? And Dutch aquariums are one and all no good because they lack hardscape?
His discussion of using “triangles” to acquascape would take a long time to adequately critique, so I’ll just point out this one statement: “As human beings, we love triangles. No, I’m not a pyramid freak. It’s scientific fact.” I would love some references to the scientific studies that proved this “scientific fact.”
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

John, while I don't disagree with you on these specific points, I think he made a number of good points, by pointing out the more formulatic aspects of aquascaping. Of course, there's a creative element, but for folks with varying degrees of natural creativity, keeping the things in mind that he said can be helpful.

Sponsors