My newly re-planted tank

Show us your pictures!
ericbullock

My newly re-planted tank

Post by ericbullock »

OK...here it is. This is after a major renovation four days ago where I removed as much Seachem Onyx as possible and replaced it with Flourite. Doing much better now!

Tank Dimensions:
24 x 18 x 17

Capacity:
32 Gallons

Lighting:
150W MH (5000K)

Photo period:
5 hours!

Fertilization:
2 ml Flourish twice a week

Inhabitants:

Stargrass, Glossistigma, Narrow-Leaf Ludwigia, Java Moss

12 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Rummynose, 3 panda cory cats, 5 Oto cats, pair of cherry barbs, pair of gold Rams, 24 Amano shrimp, 3 green-eyed shrimp (?).

So what do you think of my layout? I'm not sure about the Java Moss...that was my girlfriend's idea.

-eric-
Attachments
32G_May25_2005.jpg
32G_May25_2005.jpg (213.51 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The layout looks pretty nice. You've planted the glosso incorrectly if you want it to spread across the ground. Planting glosso is very tedious and patience testing. Clip each "stalk" of glosso you have there so that each piece has two opposite leaves and a small stem coming down from them. Plant each little tiny stem so that the leaves just barely peek out of the substrate about 1" apart from each other. Then in no time they will send out runners and form a nice carpet.

Your stargrass looks very healthy so you're on the right track for sure. :)
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

Aaron wrote:The layout looks pretty nice. You've planted the glosso incorrectly if you want it to spread across the ground. Planting glosso is very tedious and patience testing. Clip each "stalk" of glosso you have there so that each piece has two opposite leaves and a small stem coming down from them. Plant each little tiny stem so that the leaves just barely peek out of the substrate about 1" apart from each other. Then in no time they will send out runners and form a nice carpet.
Boy you can say that again! This is actually the second time I've planted the Glosso, so I'm learning as I go along. Thanks for the advice. I needed something to do this weekend anyways, so I will endeavor to do as you suggest.

Cheers,
-eric-
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Don't feel bad on the glosso. I've never been able to get planted the "right" way. I finally got some good tweezers from Aqua Botanic's site, so I'll get back around to trying sometime soon. I'll second Aaron's compliment on the stargrass. Looks amazingly full for being just planted. 'Hope you're ready to trim that stuff! It grows like crazy!
Larry Grenier

Post by Larry Grenier »

Nie layout, kool tank. Personally I think you'll be sorry you put the java moss in there. I'd only put it high-up on deiftwood where it can be controlled.
Larry Grenier,
Manassas, VA
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

krisw wrote:I'll second Aaron's compliment on the stargrass. Looks amazingly full for being just planted. 'Hope you're ready to trim that stuff! It grows like crazy!
Indeed it does. The stargrass has actually been growing for a little while (about a month). When I did my purge of Onyx I sort of worked around that planting. It does grow quickly, but I like the effect. It reminds me of a grove of bamboo.

What else is remarkable is that after the re-planting the Amano shrimp are much more visible and active! Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. They are very entertaining.

Any comments on the Java Moss? I'm still not sure about it.

Cheers,
-eric-
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

The shrimp probably like the cover of those glosso shoots.

As far as the Java moss goes, if you like it, keep it. One thing tho... If you're trying to get it to attach to the rocks, a la Amano style, you might have a little trouble doing it with slate. (per my experience.) Amano uses volcanic rock because it has much more surface area, from the nooks and cranies, for the moss to attach to. Java moss has a tendency to finding the filter intake pipe, but I'm guessing that it would be pretty hard for that to happen, since it would have to go through a bush of stargrass. :mrgreen:

Again... Be sure to post some updated pictures of this tank in the coming weeks/months ahead. Feel free to add you pictures to the gallery as well. ("Gallery" link at the top of all forum pages)
ericbullock

Post by ericbullock »

Some kind soul actually re-planted all of my Glosso today while I was at work! Here is an updated picture of her handiwork. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-eric-
Attachments
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg (188.87 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

That's not the way you plant glosso! The real way is to...just kidding :)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Aahhhh, that looks much better. :)

Sponsors