Taking Pictures

Show us your pictures!
John K

Taking Pictures

Post by John K »

What is the best way to fotograph a tank with a digital camera?
There always seems to be a glare when I try...
Any suggestions.

JK
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The number one rule is to never use the flash.

I know most people lower the exposure rate as well. That is the extent of my knowledge on photography.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Actually, this is not always true. I know a lot of folks use an external flash above the tank, instead of the built-in flash. This way the flash is pointing down into the tank, and not externally hitting the glass. I've tried this with varying results, but it seems to work pretty good when photographing an individual fish/plant. I don't have a long enough arm or cord to try the full tank shot with it yet.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well, I did warn you my knowledge was limited, though I did think of one other tip to consider with a digi cam. Use a tripod or a rigid surface to rest the camera on to keep the picture from blurring. Digi cams don't seem to handle motion well IME.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

yeah. Tripods definitely help. I believe it's generally true that anything over 1/40s is going to need a tripod or you're likely to blur. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, that's about what I've experienced, however.)

Something to keep in mind is that at every aqaurium photography talk I've been to, they've mentioned that generally, it takes them about 20-30 shots to get one that they're really happy with. So, if you have a digital camera, there's no reason not to take tons and tons of pictures. Hope for a "happy mistake" :wink:
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

thats how i do it .. just try different settings till i get it. By that time, I forgot which settings it was. :shock:
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Oh... Another subtle thing when photographing a tank. Do it completely in the dark. The only light in the room should be the tank light. I usually photograph at night, with the shades drawn. This should help prevent reflections from other sources of light.
John K

Post by John K »

Thanks for the help guys.
I'll try to get some pics soon.

Sponsors