My first big tank -- 90G

Show us your pictures!
Jim Miller

My first big tank -- 90G

Post by Jim Miller »

Just getting started on a 90g. I ordered it as a custom, bottom drilled, 3/4" rimless, 4 sided Starphire from Coast to Coast in Tom's River NJ. I visited them at the end of November and was very impressed with their quality of materials and workmanship. They were running a great sale which I took advantage of. http://www.coasttocoastaquariums.com/index.htm

Since the tank and steel frame stand won't be done until after the first of the year I don't have much to show but here is a link to the Google SketchUp I've done of the surround I plan to build. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 2f86cabe38

I'm building it four-side-finished since I don't know how we'll have it arranged in our next house. The aquarium is coming with a steel frame stand so the four sides will independently attach with magnets. The four doors on each side will have hidden hinges and touch latches. Since the doors don't close against a center mullion it will present a full opening as if just two big doors were used. Full interior access from any side can also be had by just detaching as many sides as desired.

I plan to build the faceframes in 1x4 cherry with cherry ply inset panels. Finish will be pure tung oil so it won't be done quickly but since it attaches a bit at a time I can bring the tank up completely and add the surround as I get pieces done.

I plan to do a combination of MTS capped with Flourite Black Sand and DSM to get the plants going strong before adding water. I've got some seasoned manzanita coming to work into the aquascape. I hope to have the tank filled and adding fauna by March.

No concrete plans on the plant selection. I was completely wowed by the auction at the potluck!! I like crypts (large and small), anubias, swords, low grassy foregrounds, vals and a few needle leafed varieties. I hope to learn a lot more about plants from all of you and your beautiful tanks. Since the tank will be rimless and open topped I'd like to find some nice emersed selections as well.

I tend to like a lot of small schooling fish rather than larger ones so I'll have schools of tetras, barbs, corys, otos, cherry shrimp, a few nerites and eventually something fancier once I'm more sure of my water quality and skills.

Current plans for other hardware are:
20 lb CO2 tank
dual stage regulator already acquired from Ebay
DIY inline reactor
Eheim 2078 filter (silence is a must)
ETH 300 heater
probably an inline Aqua Ultraviolet sterilizer
Catalina T5HO Solar fixture four bulb with typically two lit

Input and ideas welcome. I'm sure I'll be making plenty of mistakes!

Jim
ingg

Post by ingg »

careful on 20# tanks - make sure your stand will be tall enough for it with a regulator on top (most aren't).

Nice to meetcha at the meeting, lok forward to seeing your tank build!
Dave
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Hi Dave

I'll be sure to measure before buying. Floor to ceiling inside my stand will be 31.5" which makes it taller than many. I'll take my regulator along for "good measure." :D

I haven't figured out where to buy a tank yet around Baltimore. Roberts Air is in Timonium but being an industrial supplier I suspect they're not much of a deal. I called them and they do tank exchanges rather than fills so I won't drop a load on an aluminum tank.

Thanks!

Jim
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Roberts is one of the best bets locally. Especially for refills. You don't have to be a business to go there, which is nice.

For a 20# tank shipping may be prohibitive from one of the online beverage places if you're looking to buy new. But worth looking into. If the tank will be hidden in a cabinet out of sight a used/refill deal might be something to consider anyhow.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Got a nice 20lb tank from aquariumplants.com. Got it filled down at Fireline which isn't close to me but I figure 20lb should make it a once a year experience.

Thanks

Jim
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Spent the day adding a bigger flow pump in parallel with my filter. I added an Eheim 1260 in place of the 1250 I had in there already. I had tried it before when I only had 2 outlets and didn't like the way everything got blown about. Now that I have 3 (and soon 4) the flow is really nice.

Fish seem to be really enjoying the increase. They alternate between hanging out in the slower areas then blasting over into the fast flow as if they were salmon trying to get up a fast stream to spawn.

Surface of the tank is now much more active as well so I don't think I'll need to run the airstone at night to clear the scum that forms after a day or so. One less thing to monkey with.

I'm hoping the increased flow will keep particulates in suspension longer so that they make it to the filter rather than collecting.

For anyone counting total flow is now around 750gph on this nominal 90g tank.

Jim

Sponsors